Maximum Security's trainer receives roses from unidentified fan after Kentucky Derby DQ

Yahoo Sports Contributor
Yahoo Sports

Maximum Security didn’t get his bed of roses in the winners’s circle of the Kentucky Derby. He’s now getting a few from an unidentified fan who made the kind gesture less than a week after the controversial ruling that disqualified the horse and put him at 17th place.

Fan sends roses for Maximum Security

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

An anonymous fan from North Carolina sent trainer Jason Servis a dozen roses with a note inside to his barn at Monmouth Park, according to the Asbury Park Press.

It read: “Great race, it seems as though someone forgot to give you roses.’’

Maximum Security was disqualified 22 minutes after the race while officials reviewed video. Country Horse was determined the winner of the 145th running of the roses.

Servis was furious about the disqualification in an exclusive with the Park Press on Wednesday.

"It was a bad call. The best horse won the race that day. They weren’t beating him. There are too many things that were unsettling.’’

Trainer compares jockey to ‘drunk driver’

As more time passes, more of those involved are speaking their thoughts on the Kentucky Derby controversy. War of Will trainer Mark Casse likened Maximum Security jockey Luis Saez to a “drunk driver” during the race.

Maximum Security owner Gary West said in an interview on Fox News that War of Will caused the infraction, not his horse. A lawsuit filed by West could be coming as the next step after the unprecedented outcome.

What about the Preakness?

Neither Maximum Security nor Country Horse will race in the Preakness on May 18, meaning there will be no Triple Crown this year.

Country Horse developed a cough, per a Louisville Courier-Journal report. It is the first time in 23 years the Kentucky Derby winner will not race the Preakness.

Servis said his horse isn’t 100 percent ready with cuts on his hind legs still from the race.

He told the Asbury Park Press earlier this week:

"Not running in the Preakness wasn’t sour grapes. We’ve got to go for 3-year-old of the year now. The horse has cuts. If he had won the Derby we would have done the Preakness, but to come back in two weeks? He breezed the morning of the race, he ran a mile-and-1/4 quarter that day, then he shipped to Monmouth. Then to come back in 14 days, that’s a lot. I’d rather be able to space him until I feel good that when I’m leading him over, he’s 100 percent.’’

There is no plan for Maximum Security’s schedule moving forward. Servis and owner West will do what is best for the horse, per the report.

Owner Gary West confirmed that Maximum Security won't run in the upcoming Preakness, saying there's no need without a chance to compete for the Triple Crown. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
Owner Gary West confirmed that Maximum Security won't run in the upcoming Preakness, saying there's no need without a chance to compete for the Triple Crown. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

More from Yahoo Sports:

What to Read Next