Since 1949, each year the Masters champion has been presented with the green jacket by the previous year’s winner, but why?
The tradition itself traces its routes to England when Augusta co-founder Bobby Jones visited Royal Liverpool in 1937.
The venerated Wirral links course first hosted the Open Championship in 1897 and a further 11 times since and Jones keenly noticed that the club’s past captains all wore red blazers when sitting for dinner.
Upon relaying this to Augusta’s club chairman Clifford Roberts, the club decided to introduce the green jacket as a way to distinguish members of the club during tournament week.
Soon the jacket was established as a sign of the club’s exclusivity and 12 years it was decided that a blazer would be awarded to the event’s winner with Sam Snead becoming the first beholder.
“Jackets were purchased from the Brooks Uniform Company, New York City,” according to the Masters official website.
“Members were not initially enthusiastic about wearing the warm, green coat. Within several years, a lightweight, made-to-order Jacket was available from the Club’s Golf Shop.
“The single-breasted, single vent Jacket’s colour is ‘Masters Green’ and is adorned with an Augusta National Golf Club logo on the left chest pocket. The logo also appears on the brass buttons.”
Every winner receives their own tailor-made jacket to keep, while the original stays with the champion for a year before being placed upon his successor’s shoulders in the clubhouse during the winners’ ceremony at the conclusion of the prestigious event.
In the case that the champion successfully defends his title, he is presented with the jacket by Augusta’s club chairman.