Advertisement

Louisville football drops in rankings after loss to Kentucky but remains among the top 15

Despite falling to Kentucky in the Governor’s Cup to end the regular season, Louisville will go into the ACC championship game as a top-15 team.

The Cardinals are ranked 14th in the final regular season US LBM Coaches Poll and 15th in the AP Top 25. Their 10-2 record matches ESPN’s record projection of 10.3-2.7 though the squad moved down to 22nd in the Football Power Index rankings behind ACC mates Florida State (No. 9) and Clemson (No. 19).

The Seminoles, ranked fourth in both polls, and Cardinals are set to face off in the ACC championship game Saturday at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina. The Seminoles were a 9 ½-point favorite over Louisville but have since dropped to 4 ½ points following quarterback Jordan Travis's season-ending leg injury. ESPN also has FSU as the favorite to win the conference, giving the Seminoles a 73.2% chance to win the crown to Louisville’s 26.8%.

In addition to Louisville and FSU, the ACC has one other ranked team in N.C. State, which is No. 20 in the coaches poll and No. 21 in the AP poll following its win over North Carolina.

The Cardinals’ nine weeks in the coaches poll and AP Top 25 is the longest they’ve been consecutively ranked since 2016. U of L reached as high as third that season in both polls but ended the regular season ranked 15th in the coaches poll and 16th in the AP poll after taking a 41-38 loss to Kentucky. Louisville then lost to LSU, 29-9, in the Citrus Bowl on New Years Eve for a 9-4 record, ranking 20th (coaches) and 21st (AP) to close out the season.

This season, the Cardinals will look to rebound from the Governor’s Cup loss to the Wildcats with an upset over Florida State for the ACC crown. U of L is currently projected to play in the Orange Bowl and face Ohio State while FSU is projected to make the College Football Playoff.

The Cardinals need two wins to match a program-best 12 wins, a record set in 2006 under the tutelage of Bobby Petrino then repeated under Charlie Strong in 2013. An 11-win season in head coach Jeff Brohm’s first year at the helm would be the program’s most wins since the 2013 campaign.

Perspective: Jeff Brohm has made almost all the right moves at U of L but ran out of gas vs. UK

Reach Louisville football, women's basketball and baseball beat writer Alexis Cubit at acubit@gannett.com and follow her on X at @Alexis_Cubit.

This article originally appeared on Louisville Courier Journal: Louisville football ranking? UofL in latest AP Top 25 and coaches poll