June is here, which is when we start to figure out which MLB contenders are for real. Every year, there are a few early-season anomalies — good teams playing poorly or vice versa. June is usually when people start to ask whether teams are “contenders” or “pretenders.” That, friends, is a tired act.
Instead, on this week’s installment of my Open Mike video series, I present you with baseball’s hip-hop scale.
Yep, I’m telling you how good some of these teams are by comparing them to rappers. This is particularly fitting, I thought, given the fact that Pusha T and Drake are currently giving us the most interesting rap beef in years. And before you ask, yes, I’ve pegged teams that are MLB’s Pusha T and Drake. You’re welcome.
I’m also giving you hip-hop’s version of the Philadelphia Phillies, Colorado Rockies and Atlanta Braves. Oh, Cam’Ron gets a shout-out too.
Here’s hoping that the Mariners — errr, Drake — drop a new diss song this weekend!
PREVIOUSLY ON OPEN MIKE:
• No, legal sports betting doesn’t mean Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame
• Tanking isn’t as bad as you say it is
• Pace-of-play isn’t killing baseball — the Fun Police are
• Should Derek Jeter have skipped Yankee Stadium?
• Free baseball for everyone
– – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:
• Eric Adelson: Soccer star rejects USWNT because of LGBTQ gear
• Love explains why he left bench during G1 skirmish
• Scary moment as tennis player collides with ballboy
• LeBron has testy exchange with reporter over Smith’s blunder