Larimore Legion ice fishing tourney, Crookston Ice Buster Daze, coming up on Outdoors Calendar
Jan. 28—To get an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. Deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesdays.
* Through Jan. 31: Women Anglers of Minnesota Ice Queen Virtual Fishing Tournament, any ice-covered lake or river in the U.S. Open to women age 18 and older; categories for walleyes and crappies. Registration fee is $10 through the
virtual fishing app. For more info or to join WAM, go to
* Jan. 28: 39th Annual Devils Lake Volunteer Fire Department Ice Fishing Tournament, 1 to 3:30 p.m., Six-Mile Bay of Devils Lake. Over $325,000 in prizes, including the Grand Prize of a 2023 Chevy crew pickup. Prizes for top 5 perch, pike and walleyes, with a 2023 Ford Bronco being awarded for the second-place perch. Numerous events on tap Jan. 26-28 in the Devils Lake Memorial Building, including the raffle drawing at 7 p.m. Jan. 28. Tickets are all or mostly sold out. Info:
* Feb. 3-12: Women Anglers of Minnesota Kids On Ice Ice Fishing Derby, any ice-covered lake or river in the U.S. Open to kids age 16 and younger; categories for panfish, walleye and northern pike. Registration fee is $10 through the
virtual fishing app. For more info or to join WAM, go to
* Feb. 4: Larimore Legion Ice Fishing Tournament, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Larimore Dam Recreation Area near Larimore, N.D. Chili and door prizes to follow. Tickets available day of the derby at the entrance to Larimore Dam or in advance at Willy's Bar, 114 E. Main St., Larimore.
* Feb. 11: 20th annual Ice Buster Daze fishing tournament, Red Lake River in Crookston. Fishing will take place from 1 to 4 p.m., with a spaghetti supper from 5 to 7 p.m. and fishing/raffle prize awards from to 7 to 9 p.m., both at the Crookston Inn. Tickets are available for $25 at Hardware Hank in Crookston.
* Feb. 18: Springsteel Fishing Derby, noon to 3 p.m., Springsteel Resort north of Warroad, Minn., on Muskeg Bay of Lake of the Woods. Tickets $20, available at all gas stations and many businesses in Warroad, along with Denny's Outdoor Sports and Holiday in Roseau, Minn., and Rivers Edge Station and the American Legion in Greenbush, Minn. Prizes for top 4 walleyes, northern pike and perch and a $200 prize for largest burbot. Grand raffle prize is $10,000 cash. More info: Springsteel Resort, (218) 386-1000; Warroad Chamber, (218) 386-3543; or online at
* Feb. 25: Matejcek Derby, 7 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., Matejcek Dam near Fordville, N.D. Entry fee $10 for anglers age 13 and older, $5 for anglers 12 years old and younger. Participants should bring their own bait and follow all North Dakota fishing regulations and licensing requirements. Sponsored by the Dakota Prairie Wildlife Club.
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its series of hunting, fishing and outdoor learning webinars this winter. The webinars, which are free, begin at noon Wednesdays, and pre-registration is required at
. Webinars also are recorded and available online. Upcoming webinars are as follows:
* Feb. 1: "Minnesota's native mussels." Join Madeline Pletta, DNR's lead mussel propagation biologist, to learn about the importance of Minnesota's native freshwater mussels and how the DNR is restoring populations across the state.
* Feb. 8: "Burbot fishing." Burbot or eelpout are becoming an ever-increasing target by many anglers for good reason: they are great fighters and are also known to be very tasty as well. Carl Pedersen and Jody Derks, both fisheries specialists with the DNR, will cover some basic biology as well as ways to fish for burbot.
* Feb. 15: "Bald eagles in Minnesota." Lori Naumann, Nongame Wildlife outreach specialist, will talk about the DNR's Eagle Cam and all things bald eagles.
* Feb. 22: "Foundational fire-starting." Pam Welisevich, a naturalist with Dodge Nature Center, will show to to start a fire without using a lighter and connect to the past. Learn some important techniques that apply to building, starting and maintaining all types of fires.
* Jan. 29: Perry Brintnell Memorial Youth Snowmobile Run, Fordville, N.D. Registration from noon to 1 p.m. at the Fordville American Legion, with a rider meeting at 12:45 p.m. More information on the
Ridge Runners snowmobile club Facebook page.
* Feb. 4: 11th annual East Grand Forks Vintage Snowmobile Show, Blue Moose Bar and Grill, 507 Second St. NW, East Grand Forks. Registration from 9 to 11 a.m., with silent auction and raffle from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. inside the Blue Moose. Sleds up to the year 2000 can register and be eligible for prizes. Info:
East Grand Forks Vintage Snowmobile Show Facebook page.
* Feb. 4: Greenway Snow Day, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Lincoln Drive Park, 120 Euclid Ave., Grand Forks. Horse-drawn sleigh rides from noon to 4 p.m., cardboard sled races begin at 2 p.m. (materials available before event at the Ski & Bike Shop). Free equipment available on a first-come, first-served basis, compliments of Ski & Bike Shop; program is free. Info: Lynne Roche, special events manager, (701) 746-2750.
* Feb. 17-19: 2023 National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic, Minneapolis Convention Center. Info:
* Feb. 18: 2023 Snowmobile North Dakota State Ride, Turtle Mountains. Sponsored by Peace Garden Trail Association. Info:
* Feb. 25: Northwest Angle Edge Riders Snow Rally, Jerry's Restaurant and Bar at Young's Bay on Minnesota's Northwest Angle. Floor raffle, door prizes, radar run, lunch, "Goose Bump Jump," 50/50 raffle and more. Trail ride set for 4 p.m. Feb. 24 (meet at Jerry's). Grand prize is a 2023 Polaris Titan Adventure snowmobile; $10 and $20 raffle tickets are for sale at select businesses throughout Roseau and Lake of the Woods counties. Info: