Lady Gaga doesn’t do subtle. In fact, “drama” should be her middle name. That’s why we weren’t shocked when she hit the 2018 Grammys red carpet sporting a Gothic cat-eye look. But what did surprise us was the influence behind her over-the-top look.
“A dark, starry night” was the inspiration behind Gaga’s eye makeup, according to Marc Jacobs Beauty global artistry ambassador Sarah Tanno. That makes total sense, as the “Joanne” singer’s eye makeup combined blacker-than-black liner with shimmering shadows. While the shape of her cat eye was very striking, Tanno made sure to keep it “romantic” to complement her client’s breathtaking Armani Privé gown. Mission accomplished.
1. Trace upper and lower lash lines with with Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner in Blacquer 42 or a gel liner like Urban Decay 24/7 Waterline Eye Pencil in Legend. Use a brush to blend out into an exaggerated wing shape.
2. Press gunmetal eyeshadow into lids to intensify cat eye. Tedrick’s palette of choice: Urban Decay Naked Smoky Eyeshadow Palette.
3. Apply metallic black eyeshadow to center of lids.
4. Press silver glitter on top of lids and brow bone. Try: Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Diamond Dust.
5. For fuller, thicker eyebrows, use a tinted brow gel. We recommend: Eyeko Brow Gel.
6. Trace and fill in lips with a rose-pink liner. Sarah Tanno’s go-to tool: Marc Jacobs Beauty Poutliner Longwear Lip Liner Pencil in Prim(rose) 304.
7. Brush on a peach-rose lipstick for a natural wash of color.
8. Complete the look with generous coats of mascara to lift and darken lashes.
Hairstyling details: Stylist Jeelan Aleem for Glamsquad used Kérastase Baume Double JE to achieve a stronger grip while creating fishtail braids. The medium-hold paste also works well to slick down sides of hair.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle: