Lesnar, St. Pierre winners at UFC 100

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

LAS VEGAS – Brock Lesnar retained the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight title by stopping Frank Mir in the second round and Georges St. Pierre put on the performance of his career in blanking Thiago Alves at UFC 100 on Saturday at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Lesnar took Mir down and pounded him with rights along the cage, forcing referee Herb Dean to stop it at 1:48 of the second. After the win, Lesnar made an obscene gesture to the crowd with both hands.

St. Pierre, who was all class, won by scores of 50-45, 50-45, 50-44.

Lesnar, who lost to Mir last year at UFC 81 on a first-round submission, shouted to the crowd, "I love it! Keep booing! Keep booing!"

Mir only had one offensive move, a knee early in the second round. Lesnar took Mir down in the first and pounded him with rights, then did much the same in the second until it was stopped.

St. Pierre never allowed Alves into the fight. He took him down almost at will and was constantly working on the ground. The powerful Alves was able to force his way off the mat and get back to his feet, but he took a load of punishment from a champion who may have earned the outright pound-for-pound top status.

St. Pierre injured his groin in the third, but it hardly seemed to affect him in what he repeatedly called the toughest fight of his career.

"I was in real bad pain," St. Pierre said. "It happened in the third round when I was on my back and he pushed my leg. It could have been a bad night for me if this thing turned bad."

Instead, it was a real bad night for Alves, who offered precious little offense. Alves' takedown defense had helped him to a big victory over Josh Koscheck last year at UFC 90, but he couldn't stay upright against St. Pierre.

When St. Pierre took him down, he was landing fists and elbows and constantly looking for submissions.

The fans after the bout urged him to consider a move to middleweight, though he said he'd have to give it serious thought. He said he only weighed 184 in the cage on Saturday. Alves looked like he weighed at least 200.

"The [welterweight] division is pretty stacked," St. Pierre said. "I'll have to sit down and talk to my manager and the UFC [to see what is next]."

In a grudge match between the coaches from "The Ultimate Fighter 9", Dan Henderson clearly outclassed Michael Bisping and knocked him out with one of the biggest right hands in recent years.

Bisping spent much of the fight circling and moving away from Henderson, who had the advantage with striking throughout.

Bisping, who asked cornerman Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, "What happened?" as he was walking back to the dressing room, kept circling toward Henderson's right. Henderson had noted that on tape and was prepared for it.

He unloaded a massive right that landed on the chin and put Bisping out. Henderson didn't need to do another thing but pounced and landed a tremendous elbow to the face before referee Mario Yamasaki could stop it at 3:20.

There had been much bickering between the two, and Henderson said he felt Bisping had talked too much and wanted to shut him up.

"I believe I accomplished that," said Henderson, who may get a rematch against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva next, pending Silva's light heavyweight fight next month against Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 in Philadelphia.

Bisping never landed a shot of consequence and seemed to have no answer for Henderson.