Sep. 14—MITCHELL — Mitchell returns to the Joe Quintal Field turf for the eighth annual Kernel Bowl, as Aberdeen Central awaits in an Eastern South Dakota Conference meeting.
Here's what to know ahead of the contest:
When: 7 p.m. Saturday
Where: Joe Quintal Field.
Records: Mitchell 0-3 (0-2 ESD); Aberdeen Central 1-2 (0-1 ESD).
Last meeting: Aberdeen Central topped the Kernels, capitalizing on five Mitchell turnovers to notch a 27-13 win last season in Aberdeen.
Last week: The Kernels fell at home to Class 11AA No. 1 Pierre 62-8 on Sept. 8. Elsewhere, the Golden Eagles earned a 24-14 home win over Sturgis on Sept. 9.
* Aberdeen received one vote in this week's Class 11AA South Dakota Prep Media poll, while Mitchell did not receive a vote.
* Mitchell and Aberdeen Central have met twice since the Golden Eagles returned to Class 11AA in 2021. Aberdeen Central won both meetings, defeating the Kernels 33-14 during the 2021 Kernel Bowl in addition to last season's win in Aberdeen.
About the Kernels:
* Mitchell has a 4-3 record across the seven previous editions of the Kernel Bowl, including wins in three of the past four. However, the most recent loss came to Aberdeen Central in 2021, a 33-14 decision for the Golden Eagles.
* With 88 yards and a touchdown on eight carries las week against Pierre, Parker Denne put forward the best individual rushing performance by a Kernel so far this season. Denne has 127 yards rushing and 74 receiving yards for the season.
* After splitting snaps at quarterback through two games, Lukas Chenoweth got the start and played the bulk of snaps last week against Pierre. Through three games, Chenoweth is 18-of-28 through the air for 144 yards.
* The Kernels' third-highest offensive output of 2022 came against the Golden Eagles. In that meeting, Mitchell recorded 320 total yards, with 170 passing and 150 rushing.
About the Golden Eagles:
* In last season's meeting, Aberdeen Central gained 407 total yards, including a standout performance from the since-graduated Karson Carda, who finished with 208 rushing yards.
* Among the Golden Eagles to feature in the game a year ago who return for the 2023 meeting are backs Avery Ligon and Austin Erickson. Against the Kernels, the pair combined for 69 yards of offense on 13 touches, with Erickson also scoring a touchdown.
* Last week against Sturgis, Erickson and Ligon accounted for two of Aberdeen Central's three touchdowns, all of which came on the ground. Erickson scored from 19 yards out in the second quarter, and Ligon added a 2-yard plunge in the third. Quarterback Parker Lemer also had a 5-yard scoring run just before halftime.
* The Golden Eagles and Kernels have shared two common opponents through three weeks this season. Both lost to Pierre, while Aberdeen Central defeated Sturgis, which defeated Mitchell.
Next: Mitchell takes on Class 11AAA Sioux Falls Jefferson at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 22, at Howard Wood Field in Sioux Falls. Aberdeen hosts an ESD meeting against Huron.