SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - It's almost like Jose Abreu never left.
He was only a free agent for a week and a half, Abreu bringing his brief time away from the White Sox to an end Thursday, when he accepted the qualifying offer of a one-year deal with $17.8 million.
It's not the multi-year contract that was expected, but MLB Network's Jon Heyman reported that the sides will continue to discuss a long-term pact. Still, the decision is a rare one, with Abreu becoming one of the few players ever to accept the qualifying offer. But he'll get a nice payday for the 2020 season with a chance to do this whole free-agency thing again a year from now, if he chooses.
There was speculation that Abreu could accept the qualifying offer because of a potentially weak market for his services league-wide. If Abreu rejected the qualifying offer and things fell apart in discussing a multi-year deal with the White Sox, any team that signed him to a contract would have lost a draft pick in doing so. That deterred teams from signing free agents just in the last year, with Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel notably going unsigned until June.
Who knows if that - or just the desire to earn $17.8 million before a potential dip in his annual salary as he ages - had anything to do with Abreu's decision, but it's what was being speculated.
Regardless, the White Sox have their first baseman back, great news after he turned in one of the more productive seasons of his six-year big league career in 2019. Abreu led the American League with a career-best 123 RBIs and came three home runs shy of matching a career-high in that category, as well.
Abreu's return always seemed a foregone conclusion, with the three-time All Star spending the entire 2019 season talking about how badly he wanted to remain on the South Side, going as far as to pledge that if the White Sox didn't re-sign him, he'd sign himself to a contract and play here anyway.
The feeling was mutual, too, with general manager Rick Hahn, manager Rick Renteria and teammates praising Abreu as a model player and a mentor for the team's young stars in the making. Eloy Jimenez said Abreu had been like a father during the rookie's first season in the majors. Abreu revealed that team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf told him he'd never wear another uniform.
He's as giddy about the team's future as anyone and has cited the planned shift into contention as the reason he wants to stick around. Tim Anderson said "it's only right" that Abreu return for 2020, a season in which the long-awaited transition out of rebuilding mode could take place. Hahn said earlier this season that it's "very likely" Abreu would be around for the franchise's planned good times.
Abreu's been incredibly productive at the plate, though his off-the-field contributions are just as important, of course, and he's been a mentor to players like Jimenez and Yoan Moncada as they've gotten their first taste of the major leagues. Luis Robert, the organization's No. 1 prospect, figures to find his way under Abreu's wing when he reaches the bigs next season.
Abreu has long seemed to be held in the same esteem as players who have their numbers retired and statues standing at Guaranteed Rate Field, earning the title of "Mr. White Sox" for this generation. It's no surprise the White Sox are keeping him in that role moving forward as they plan to start seeing brighter days on the South Side.
After capturing the RBI crown, Abreu made his final prediction of the 2019 campaign, saying he did believe he'd be back with the White Sox for 2020. It might not have been terribly difficult to be prescient in this case, but he was nonetheless.
"Everybody knows my wishes and my desire to stay here," he said through team interpreter Billy Russo. "This is an organization I respect. This is an organization I really honor.
"I want to be here, and you know guys, I've been telling you that. Hopefully I'm going to be here."
Hope no longer. It might not have gone down exactly as was expected, but Abreu isn't going anywhere.
Jose Abreu accepts qualifying offer, returns to White Sox on one-year deal originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago