- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Johnny Manziel’s time with the Canadian Football League is over for good, which means he’s looking for a new job. And the Alliance of American Football could be his next stop.
AAF chairman Tom Dundon told USA Today that the AAF contacted Manziel’s camp within 24 hours of learning that Manziel had been banned from the CFL. Manziel was offered the chance to work out for AAF teams, which could lead to him signing a contract and becoming part of this brand new football league.
Dundon is still relatively new at his job. He became chairman of the AAF a few weeks ago when the organization was in danger of not making payroll. Dundon stepped in and saved the AAF by making a nine-figure investment, and became the AAF’s new chairman. But he’s aware of the baggage Manziel brings with him, and that he might not be the right fit for every team.
"Right now, it’s a decision of the GMs, and they can decide what they want to do," Dundon told USA TODAY Sports.
"If talent-wise this is close, the negative of him is that there is drama with him and you are trying to win games and build a team. The positive is that he brings in fans and attention."
Dundon also told USA Today that Manziel wouldn’t be given any special treatment, and that he’d get the same three-year, $250,000 deal that every player gets.
Daryl Johnston, general manager of the San Antonio Commanders, spoke to the San Antonio Express-News on Thursday and said he “received indication” that Manziel would be “comfortable” with the AAF’s salary structure.
Under the AAF’s regional allocation system, the Commanders have the first shot at signing Manziel, if things get to that point. Johnston said that his team hasn’t had any direct contact with Manziel or his agent, but he has spoken to Dundon about the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner. Johnston wants to see what the rest of the league’s reaction is to Manziel before moving forward.
More from Yahoo Sports: