Joe Lacob issues statement on the Warriors waiving Shaun Livingston

Drew Shiller
NBC Sports BayArea

The Warriors waived Shaun Livingston, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.

Golden State owner Joe Lacob issued the following statement:

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

"Shaun was a huge part of three NBA championship teams with the Warriors, but his overall journey is what is most remarkable. He overcame incredible odds following a devastating injury, wore nine different NBA uniforms during his comeback, had a stint in the D-League and, fittingly, ended up being a major contributor on one of the best teams in NBA history.

"Now, his resume indicates that he's one of only a handful of players in league history to win at least three NBA championships. He has been a tremendous credit to the Warriors organization and our community for the last five years and has always carried himself as a professional. We thank Shaun for his immense contributions, wish him well in his next chapter and look forward to honoring him at some point in the future."

Livingston -- who will turn 34 years old in September -- intends to play in the NBA next season, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

It doesn't sound like he has any plans to replace NBC Sports Bay Area's Grant Liffmann on Warriors Outsiders:

The No. 4 overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft acknowledged earlier this year that he might retire at the end of the season.

[RELATEDWhat D'Angelo said about Dubs fans during free agent meeting]

The Warriors owe Livingston $2 million, which will be stretched over the next three seasons at about $666,700 annually towards the salary cap.

In July 2014, the Illinois native signed a three-year contract with the Dubs worth about $16.6 million guaranteed.

In July 2017, he signed another three-year deal worth about $23.7 million and $18 million guaranteed.

Follow @DrewShiller on Twitter and Instagram

Joe Lacob issues statement on the Warriors waiving Shaun Livingston originally appeared on NBC Sports Bay Area

What to Read Next