Jimmies men's hockey can't break through in 4-1 loss to McKendree

Jan. 13—JAMESTOWN — The No.4-ranked University of Jamestown ran into a brick wall in net and it cost them in a 4-1 loss to McKendree University on Saturday, Jan. 13, at John L. Wilson Arena.

"That's what I told the guys afterwards, 27 shots in the first, we get one goal," Jimmies head coach Dean Stork said. "He made some outstanding saves. We ran into a hot goaltender, it happens but you gotta find a way to get through that.

The Jimmies (16-6) outshot the Bearcats 64-30, including 25-9 in the third period but Bearcats goalie Chad Purdy was up to the task stopping 63 of the 64 shots.

"I felt like I saw a lot of pucks even through traffic," Purdy said. "That was the biggest thing coming in, doing research on them, I knew they put a lot of big guys in front of me, in front of goalies and that's how they score a lot of goals. That's what I worked on over the break actually with my brother and even through practice, worked on that, honed in on it and the results showed."

The Jimmies came out of the gates flying as they had multiple chances early on and finally cashed in when Reid Wilson scored to make it 1-0, less than a minute into the game. The Jimmies had two great scoring chances later in the period as they attempted to double their lead but the Bearcats' Purdy robbed them both to keep it where it was. The Bearcats (9-12) tied the game up with 11:04 to go in the period to make it 1-1.

"I thought we had good energy to start the game, didn't capitalize on it," Stork said. "We had 27 shots in the first period, that was the difference maker, not enough finish, not enough finish in the first period."

Despite the Jimmies outshooting the Bearcats 25-8 in the opening period, they had five chances to the Bearcats two. The Bearcats were helped by their penalty killers in the first 20 minutes as the Jimmies went 0-for-3.

The second period saw both teams get multiple scoring chances but neither were able to break through. The Jimmies had seven chances and 18 shots in the second while the Bearcats had two chances and 13 shots. The Jimmies power play continued to struggle in the second as they went 0-for-2. Late in the second period, the Bearcats had chances on goal but the Jimmies' Keaton Cline blocked two shots in a row.

"Keaton definitely puts his body on the line," Stork said. "I thought some guys executed their roles and some guys didn't execute their roles."

The Jimmies had another chance midway through the third period when they got in on a two-on-zero but Mario Decapite had his shot ring off the post and stay out. The Bearcats (9-12) broke through when Matias Alexandrov sniped one in with 7:21 to go in the third to take a 2-1 lead. Approximately two minutes later, the Bearcats were on the power play and Steven Brachert scored to push his team in front 3-1. Purdy said he stayed locked in after the Bearcats goal made it 3-1 but that the pressure felt a little bit lighter.

"It was a backbreaker, especially for the guys that usually stop that, Cline and (Phillippe Lessard," Stork said.

The Jimmies are back in action on Friday, Sept. 19, when they go to Waldorf University, with the time still to be determined.

MU 4, UJ 1

MU: 1 0 3 — 4

UJ: 1 0 0 — 1

Scoring plays:

First period:

UJ: Reid Wilson, 0:52

MU: Jack Sumner (SH), 8:58

Third period:

MU: Matias Alexandrov, 12:39

MU: Steven Brachert (PP), 14:37

MU: Bradley Richardson (EN), 19:26

Goalie matchup:

MU: Chad Purdy: 63 saves on 64 shots, one goal allowed

UJ: Brandon Weare: 27 shots on 30 shots, three goals allowed