Jamel Herring is again having to withdraw from a fight after a second positive COVID-19 test. Herring was scheduled to headline the Top Rank card versus Jonathan Oquendo on Tuesday night from the MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas.
The junior lightweight fight between Mikaela Mayer and Helen Joseph will now be the sole headliner of the event.
Herring-Oquendo canceled again
Herring (21-2, 10 KO) versus Oquendo (31-6, 19 KO) was initially scheduled for July 2. Herring had to cancel due to a positive COVID-19 test. He said this week he was feeling “more mentally strong and tough” after recovering from the virus.
Crazy thing is... this was the easiest weight cut that I had! I wasn’t drained, and I could’ve made weight earlier last week. My trainer and manager @BomacBrian wanted to see if I could compete at 126... but that’s pushing it🖐😤— Jamel Herring (@JamelHerring) July 13, 2020
Shortly after it was announced Monday he would withdraw from the fight again due to “an undisclosed reason,” Top Rank announced the positive test and Herring took to Twitter to explain.
Herring doesn’t believe positive test
He shared confirmation that he first tested positive on June 20 and tested negative on July 3.
These test are 30% faulty... Here’s clearly my timeline of when I contracted the virus, til the time I came back negative. I even woke up today on weight, ready to go, and even took an antibody test this morning to prove I’m fine, but the commission didn’t want to risk it. https://t.co/7Mv3ex0jbo pic.twitter.com/pItpOwq0rA— Jamel Herring (@JamelHerring) July 13, 2020
He said he doesn’t believe the positive test and went out Monday for an antibody test to try and show he had the virus previously.
More from Yahoo Sports: