After wrapping up an incredible first half to his inagural season in Boston, hitting .328 with 29 home runs and 82 RBI's, Martinez said he is open to restructuring his contract he signed in February.
When asked if he would be open to talking about a contract that keeps him with Red Sox even longer term (blowing through opt outs) Martinez said "absolutely"
— Rob Bradford (@bradfo) July 16, 2018
Martinez signed a five-year $110 million deal with Boston this past winter, including player opt-outs after the second and third years of the contract.
Eliminating the opt-outs would secure the slugger for the entirety of his contract, something the Red Sox might want to consider given his production so far.
Conversations on that front won't happen until after the season, so the league-best Red Sox can focus on winning another World Series with one of the hottest bats in baseball in their lineup.