ICYMI in Mets Land: Max Scherzer dominates, injury updates on Brandon Nimmo and Jose Quintana
Here's what happened Saturday in Mets Land, in case you missed it...
- Max Scherzer looked more than ready for the start of the regular season, throwing seven shutout innings against the Houston Astros on Saturday.
- After his outing, Scherzer explained that while he feels ready to get the season started, he knows there's a lot to gain from his final spring starts.
- With Edwin Diaz expected to be sidelined for eight months following knee surgery, David Robertson, who has plenty of closer experience, says he'll take the ball whenever he's asked.
- The Mets made some roster moves on Saturday, optioning shortstop prospect Ronny Mauricio and lefty Joey Lucchesi to Triple-A Syracuse.
- GM Billy Eppler offered some injury updates, saying that Brandon Nimmo is considered "week-to-week" while Jose Quintana underwent successful rib surgery.
- Pete Alonso and Adam Ottavino helped USA come back in dramatic fashion to defeat Venezuela and advance in the World Baseball Classic.