Each week, TheHoosier.com will be checking in to see how former IU athletes are doing in the pros. This week, we've got updates from Major League Baseball (MLB) and Minor League Baseball.
Charles LeClaire / USA TODAY Sports
• Former IU catcher Kyle Schwarber hit .211 with one home run and two RBI for the Chicago Cubs in a win over and a loss to the New York Mets, a 2-1 series win over the Pittsburgh Pirates and a 3-2 win over the San Diego Padres.
• Former IU catcher Josh Phegley hit .188 with a double for the Oakland Athletics in back-to-back wins over the Miami Marlins, four consecutive wins over the New York Yankees and a 4-1 loss to the Houston Astros.
• No new updates on former IU outfielder Alex Dickerson, whoexperienced a setback in his rehab on June 3 with back soreness which forced him to miss getting at-bats in an extended spring-training game in Peoria, Arizona, according to San Diego Union-Tribune Padres Beat Writer Dennis Lin. Dickerson had resumed baseball activities in late May while recovering from a disc protrusion sustained in mid-March.
• Former IU infielder Micah Johnson remains on the Atlanta Braves' 60-day disabled list after being placed there May 8. Johnson has yet to play for Atlanta this season after fracturing his left wrist in the preseason. He was initially placed on the 10-day disabled list on April 2.
Minor League Baseball
• Former IU first baseman Kevin Mahar, now the bench coach for the Dayton Dragons, the Class A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, has helped the Dragons to a 41-29 overall record and second place in the Midwest League Eastern Division Standings.
• Former IU pitcher Christian Morris allowed one earned run off four hits with two strikeouts in two innings of relief work for the Charleston RiverDogs - the Advanced-Class A affiliate of the New York Yankees - in a 5-3 win over the West Virginia Power on June 13.
• Former IU pitcher Scott Effross tossed 1 2/3 collective shutout relief innings for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans - the Advanced-Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs - in a pair of wins over the Down East Wood Ducks on June 15 and 17.
• Former IU pitcher Ryan Halstead threw 2 1/3 combined scoreless innings of relief with two strikeouts for the Richmond Flying Squirrels - the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants - in a 4-3 loss to the New Hampshire Fisher Cats on June 15, a 9-6 loss to the Harrisburg Senators on June 16 and a 5-3 win over the Senators on June 18.
• Former IU third baseman Dustin DeMuth hit .385 with one home run and two RBI for the Bixoli Shuckers - the Double-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers - in a 5-2 win over the Jacksonville Jumbo on June 13 and three straight wins over the Mobile BayBears June 17-18.
• Former IU pitcher Kyle Hart threw three strikeouts with one earned run off seven hits in four innings of a start for the Greenville Drive - the Class A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox - in a 6-2 loss to the Columbia Fireflies on June 14.
• Former IU pitcher Caleb Baragar tossed four strikeouts and allowed just one earned run off six hits in eight innings for the Augusta Green Jackets - the Class A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants - picking up his first win of the season in a 7-2 win over the Ashville Tourists on June 17.
• Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes
• Follow us on Twitter: @IndianaRivals
• Like us on Facebook.