Giants, Saquon Barkley re-open dialog on possible extension
The New York Giants and star running back Saquon Barkley will resume contract talks now that the 2023 NFL draft is over. The two sides apparently touched base last week but there’s still no extension offer on the table.
Joe Schoen said Giants re-opened dialogue with Saquon Barkley's representatives last week and both sides agreed that they would circle back after the draft, to see where talks go.
— Art Stapleton (@art_stapleton) April 29, 2023
The Giants placed the franchise tag on Barkley in March but he has yet to sign the one-year, $10.1 million tender. Without his signature on that — or a new deal — he cannot join the team in any type of workout or practice.
Defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence is also not at the Giants’ facility for their voluntary offseason program as he is staying away until his contract situation gets addressed as well.
#Giants GM Joe Schoen says the conversations with Saquon and Dexter Lawrence reps have had an understanding that they will reconvene after Draft, “If we need to, we have moves we can make to free up cap space”
— Madelyn Burke (@MadelynBurke) April 29, 2023
The Giants drafted a running back (Oklahoma’s Eric Gray) and a defensive lineman this weekend (Jordon Riley of Oregon) but neither is expected to replace Barkley or Lawrence, who were both Pro Bowlers last season.
Saquon Barkley addresses Giants, contract situation
Giants' Joe Schoen says there's 'no rush' with Saquon Barkley
Saquon Barkley, Dexter Lawrence absences won't impact Giants' locker room