One of the most successful fighter-trainer combinations of the 21st century is no more.
Former middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin parted ways with longtime trainer Abel Sanchez on Wednesday in a dispute over money. Golovkin, who has a fight against Steve Rolls on June 8 in New York, lavished Sanchez with praise in a statement announcing the change.
Golovkin did not identify his new trainer.
In a statement provided to Yahoo Sports, Sanchez referenced “an insulting trainer compensation schedule,” that Golovkin offered him.
Golovkin hired Sanchez in April 2010 to train him. In their first fight together, Golovkin knocked out Milton Núñez in the first round on Aug. 14, 2010, on the way to becoming one of the biggest stars in boxing.
They worked together for 22 fights, going 20-1-1 with 19 knockouts together. Sanchez transformed Golovkin from a boxer with a European style into one of the most exciting knockout punchers in the world. Their partnership provided success for both men and lifted them to the heights of boxing.
As is often the case in boxing, though, money is at the root of the problem.
Golovkin, who earlier this year signed a massive financial deal with DAZN that Sanchez said is worth $100 million, wanted Sanchez to take a pay cut. Sanchez wasn’t willing to take the cut and they parted ways.
“I would like to announce that I have made a major decision for myself and for my career. I want to build on what I have already achieved and continue to better myself. Therefore, I will not be training with Abel Sanchez. This was not an easy decision for me and it is not a reflection on Abel's professional abilities. He is a great trainer, a loyal trainer, and a Hall of Fame trainer.
“I will be announcing my new trainer at a later date. But today, I want to thank Abel for the lessons he taught me in boxing.”
Abel Sanchez blasts ‘greedy’ GGG
Sanchez clearly was unhappy with the way the partnership ended. He attended a news conference in Los Angeles to announce Golovkin’s deal with DAZN, at which point Golovkin told Yahoo Sports that he anticipated Sanchez would remain as his trainer.
Sanchez, though, did not appear at either stop on Golovkin’s New York-Los Angeles media appearances to promote the fight with Rolls.
“FYI, as of today I will no longer be working with Gennady Golovkin. After a great 9-year run, records set and equaled, developing a Hall of Fame career and making it possible to sign a six-fight, $100 million contract with DAZN, he proposed and insisted on an insulting new trainer compensation schedule. My dignity and honor does not allow me to be screwed like that. It’s unfortunate being greedy, being ungrateful and no ethics, honor or integrity will end this relationship.”
More from Yahoo Sports: