Francisco Lindor on Michael Conforto contract extension talks with Mets

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Danny Abriano
·2 min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Francisco Lindor with mask and Michael Conforto TREATED ART
Francisco Lindor with mask and Michael Conforto TREATED ART

Unlike Francisco Lindor, who set a deadline of Opening Day to sign an extension, Michael Conforto did not set a hard deadline, leaving the door open for the Mets to work something out with him before the end of the season.

And with Conforto still under the cloud of potential negotiations and the possibility that he's playing for his next contract -- whether it comes from the Mets or someone else -- he has started off the season in a funk.

One thing might not have anything to do with the other, but when asked on Tuesday what his advice was to Conforto as he deals with the uncertainty, Lindor laid it out.

"He's a good ball player. I told him 'you're a good ball player.' He's gonna put the numbers up," Lindor told reporters via Zoom. "At the end of the year the numbers will be there no matter what, if he continues to stay healthy, the numbers will be there for sure.

"Enjoy this process, don't worry about what's gonna happen. He's one of the leaders in the Mets organization, so he's gonna get paid at some point. He's gonna get what he desires and what he deserves and what God has for him.

"Enjoy every single day. We're early in the season -- there's a lot of things that can happen. Looking forward to the day he actually -- God willing he does sign here, I can say he's gonna be a teammate of mine for a very long time."

Apr 7, 2021; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; New York Mets right fielder Michael Conforto (30) reacts in front of Philadelphia Phillies catcher J.T. Realmuto (10) after striking out with bases loaded to end the fourth inning at Citizens Bank Park.
Apr 7, 2021; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; New York Mets right fielder Michael Conforto (30) reacts in front of Philadelphia Phillies catcher J.T. Realmuto (10) after striking out with bases loaded to end the fourth inning at Citizens Bank Park.

Speaking on April 5, Mets owner Steve Cohen and team president Sandy Alderson discussed the Conforto situation, and were hopeful the contract extension talks would continue.

"Each situation is unique," Cohen said. "I plan to sit down with his agent at some point and discuss it. We like Michael, he's been a terrific Met and we'll see if we can get it done. This is a big moment for him, too. He may want to explore his free agency. So we'll see what happens."

Said Alderson:

"Our negotiations were brief but cordial. I do believe there's room for continuing those conversations. And so I'm hopeful that the dialogue will continue and we'll see where we end up."

SNY's Andy Martino reported earlier this month that the Mets made Conforto an offer during spring training but that talks did not progress far.