Francisco Cervelli denies saying catching career is over following sixth MLB concussion

Mark TownsendYahoo Sports Contributor
Pirates veteran <a class="link rapid-noclick-resp" href="/mlb/players/8387/" data-ylk="slk:Francisco Cervelli">Francisco Cervelli</a> is denying a report that his catching career is over following his sixth documented concussion in MLB. (Getty Images)
Pirates veteran Francisco Cervelli is denying a report that his catching career is over following his sixth documented concussion in MLB. (Getty Images)


Francisco Cervelli hopes to continue his career as an MLB catcher despite reports to the contrary.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

In an Instagram post on Friday night, the Pittsburgh Pirates veteran denied telling DKPittsburghSports.com that he will change positions after suffering the sixth documented concussion of his MLB career earlier this season.

Writes Cervelli:

“Saying that I quit from my catcher responsibilities is inaccurate. My hope is to catch again.”

In the DKSportsPittsburgh story that was published on July 7, Cervelli is quoted as saying the following in regards to his most recent concussion: "That's enough. This time is different. I can't live like this."

The only other quote from Cervelli read: "I'm ready to do anything. Wherever I am in the field, I'm still catching the ball, right?"

On Saturday, Cervelli doubled down on his Instagram post, telling reporters that he was “misquoted” and never granted an official interview for the original story.

From ESPN:

"I never said that I don't want to catch," Cervelli told reporters Saturday after saying the same in an Instagram post on Friday night. "That was a misunderstanding. It never came from my mouth."

Cervelli sustained his latest concussion after taking a broken bat to the chin on May 25. He has not returned to game action since.

In his Instagram post, Cervilli acknowledged that not being in the catcher spot initially would be part of his process of recovery. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle and general manager Neal Huntington have also stated that a position change might be in the best interests of Cervelli's health moving forward.

That, too, appears to be a path that Cervelli hasn’t ruled out.

More from Yahoo Sports:

What to Read Next