- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced Wednesday that former Mets manager Mickey Callaway has been placed on the Ineligible List following the completion of the league’s investigation into allegations of sexual harassment.
Callaway’s placement on the Ineligible List will continue through at least the 2022 season, per MLB, when Callaway can apply for potential reinstatement.
“My office has completed its investigation into allegations of sexual harassment by Mickey Callaway. Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Callaway violated MLB’s policies, and that placement on the Ineligible List is warranted,” Manfred said in a statement. “We want to thank the many people who cooperated with our Department of Investigations (DOI) in their work, which spanned Mr. Callaway’s positions with three different Clubs. The Clubs that employed Mr. Callaway each fully cooperated with DOI, including providing emails and assisting with identifying key witnesses. Harassment has no place within Major League Baseball, and we are committed to providing an appropriate work environment for all those involved in our game.”
The Los Angeles Angels also released a statement, saying they’ve ended Callaway’s employment. Callaway had been suspended by the team since the initial report of his inappropriate behavior surfaced in The Athletic in February.
The Athletic interviewed 22 people who interacted with Callaway during his time with the Cleveland Indians, with one saying Callaway's behavior was "the worst-kept secret in the organization."
Multiple women told The Athletic that Callaway "made them uncomfortable by sending them inappropriate messages and/or photos, making unwanted advances and more while they worked for the Indians."
Callaway spent two seasons as manager of the Mets before being fired in October of 2019. He was hired by the Angels just a few weeks later.