Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
To celebrate 25 years of playing in "The Swamp" the Florida football team will ditch its usual home jerseys to look more like Gators this Saturday against Texas A&M.
UF unveiled "swamp green" alternate uniforms Monday night on the football team's official website.
University of Florida
University of Florida
As the only Division I school in the country named the Gators, UF and Nike officials saw a unique opportunity that has been in the works for over two years, a school release states. The cross-division clash with the Aggies, which kicks off at 7 p.m. ET, will be the first time in school history that the Florida football team will stray from its traditional Orange and Blue look that is synonymous with its storied program.
Here are the Nike-provided details of the uniform:
* Helmet: A swamp green — used for the first time — covers the helmet, which has a satin finish. The Gator Head logo appears on one side of the helmet, which is another first for Florida.
* Baselayer :Florida will wear a sublimated base-layer top in royal blue with a tonal gator print extending onto the sleeves.
* Jersey: Above that, the Gators will be in a swamp green jersey covered in a tonal gator print. Player numbers are orange trimmed in royal blue, while names appear in orange. A TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane, which is essentially a dense but smooth rubber) Gator logo patch sits at the center of the neck gusset.
* Gloves: Custom swamp green gloves showcase royal blue straps and accents and an orange Swoosh on the back of the hand, while a tonal Gator print and the Gator logo appear on the palm over orange.
* Pants: The pants are solid swamp green with a TPU Gator logo patch on the hip.
* Socks: Florida will have a swamp green Vapor Grip socks. Their strategically placed cushion (for added comfort and impact protection) has a texture that coincidentally mimics the armored skin of an alligator.
* Cleats: To complete the look, the players will wear special-edition cleats that span Nike’s complete footwear offering for NCAA teams (including the latest Alpha Menace Elite and Force Savage Elite). The cleats are swamp green and covered in Gator print with chrome orange plates. The sockliners have sublimated Gator logos on them.