- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
A Southern California family filed a lawsuit this week against the Los Angeles Dodgers after an incident at Dodger Stadium last fall where they claim they were beaten and abused by stadium security because they are Latinos, according to ABC7.
Rigoberto Verdin, 48, and his children Rigoberto Jr., David and Jamie, all attended Game 5 of the Dodgers’ NLDS matchup against the Washington Nationals at Dodger Stadium in October, which the Dodgers lost in the 10th inning. The incident, they said, happened as they were leaving following the loss.
As they were near an exit, per the report, the family claims they were “accosted” and “battered” by security guards who allegedly called them “gang bangers, thugs and homies.”
Rigoberto Jr. said at one point he was trying to help David after he had been put into a chokehold by security guards when Rigoberto Jr. was tackled to the ground. A guard then allegedly put a knee into his neck. Rigoberto Jr. later yelled out, “I can’t breathe,” per the report, while he was allegedly struck on the body and head repeatedly.
Rigoberto Sr. said he suffered injuries to one hand and arm after he was tackled to the ground. Jamie suffered a broken nose. Rigoberto Jr. and David were both arrested, but never charged, per the report.
The family is seeking $7 million in damages. They filed the initial papers in Los Angeles Superior Court on Wednesday, officially alleging negligence, assault, battery, false imprisonment and civil rights violations, per ABC7.
The Dodgers, they allege in the lawsuit, has “refused to explain the guards’ alleged conduct and ignored the plaintiffs’ requests for witness statements and other information,” per ABC7.
More from Yahoo Sports: