Advertisement

ESPN analytics favors Alabama over UNC in Sweet 16 matchup

After a low-scoring win over Grand Canyon in the round of 32 that came down to the final minutes, No. 4 seed Alabama advances to the Sweet 16 to take on the top seed of the West Region, UNC.

To get to this point in the tournament, Alabama defeated the College of Charleston with ease in the round of 64, putting up 109 points. In the round of 32 against Grand Canyon, the Tide had to switch of play styles and ended up winning the game 72-61 in a physical battle.

For North Carolina, it’s been a relatively smooth ride. The Tar Heels opened the tournament against 16-seeded Wagner and then battled with Michigan State in the round of 32, but won that once by a healthy margin.

ESPN’s advanced analytics came up with a matchup predictor, which gives each team a percentage chance to win the game. Though many favor the Tar Heels, it’s the Crimson Tide that’s favored.

Though it is expected to be a close game, according to the analytics, Alabama has a 52.2% chance to win the game and move on to the Elite Eight, leaving North Carolina with only a 47.8% chance.

The two will meet in Los Angeles on Thursday, March 28 at 9:39 p.m. ET to decide which team stays alive, and which one gets sent home packing.

Roll Tide Wire will continue to follow Alabama basketball as the team looks to continue its March Madness run.

Contact/Follow us @RollTideWire on X, and like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of Alabama news, notes and opinion. You can also follow AJ Spurr on X @SpurrFM.

Story originally appeared on Roll Tide Wire