Advertisement

Eberechi Eze injury: Roy Hodgson insists no stand-off between Crystal Palace star and medical staff

Eberechi Eze will remain sidelined when Crystal Palace face Bournemouth (Action Images via Reuters)
Eberechi Eze will remain sidelined when Crystal Palace face Bournemouth (Action Images via Reuters)

Roy Hodgson has now sought to dismiss any suggestion of a disagreement between Eberechi Eze and Crystal Palace's medical staff over his injury.

England international Eze suffered an ankle problem in the 2-1 Premier League defeat at Luton last weekend, an issue sustained just three games into his return following a six-week lay-off with a hamstring injury.

It was feared that the 25-year-old could be set for another lengthy spell in the treatment room as he was sent to see a specialist.

Palace boss Hodgson then appeared to reveal a rift between Eze and the club's medical staff following the 1-1 draw at West Ham on Sunday.

Hodgson claimed that Eze believed he would get over his latest setback very quickly and attempt to train over the next few days, whereas he said that the Palace medical staff thought he would be out for a long period of time.

The former England boss has now sought to defuse the situation, telling reporters ahead of the midweek visit of Bournemouth to Selhurst Park on Wednesday night: "The problem is I treated a press conference as if I was talking to people who would understand a little bit of humour.

"I shall attempt to be anything other than flippant and humorous and say that there is absolutely no disparity between him and the medical team.

"I was trying to make the point about how keen he was to get back, but basically it will take the time it takes, he understands that, and I apologise for any misapprehension or confusion I may have caused."

Eze will not be available to play against the Cherries on Wednesday, with Hodgson saying: "Nothing has changed, he still has an ankle injury.

"He is pushing hard to get fit as soon as he possibly can, but as of yet unfortunately he hasn’t turned that corner which will enable him to declare himself fit to train with the team and to play.

"We are monitoring him on a daily basis. If we are lucky it will be much quicker than we predicted, and if we are unlucky it might be longer than we predicted, we just don’t know.

"He is certainly very keen to get back as quickly as he can, and we will continue monitoring him on a daily basis. It will take time, and he understands that."

However, Jeffrey Schlupp will be back for Palace after missing the draw with the Hammers at the London Stadium on Sunday.

"He is available, so it is good news," Hodgson said.

"It is an area where unfortunately we have lost two very good players, two very important players.

"When you lose two players of the importance of Ebere Eze and [Cheick] Doucoure in the same area of the field, it is going to stretch your squad."

It remains to be seen if Mali midfielder Doucoure will play again this season after he snapped his Achilles tendon in the costly loss at Luton, while Jesurun Rak-Sakyi, Rob Holding and Dean Henderson are all still missing for Palace.

Hodgson was also pressed on recent rumours linking striker Jean-Philippe Mateta with an exit from south London as the January transfer window looms into view.

Reports have claimed that the Frenchman's Palace future is in question as he seeks more regular first-team football, having started just three league matches so far this season.

It has been said that Bundesliga side Eintracht Frankfurt could try to sign Mateta in January, though Hodgson insists he is not interested in letting any of his current squad depart.

"All players at this club are part of my long-term plans. We don't have a very strong squad and I have no idea about the interest from Frankfurt," he said.

"It's certainly not landed on my table, so until such time as it becomes an issue for me I should just put that down to press speculation."