Eagles injury update: Eagles without both veteran receivers on Sunday originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia
Neither is happening.
Both Jeffery (foot) and Jackson (hamstring) have been ruled out for Sunday’s game in Pittsburgh. Avonte Maddox (ankle) has also been ruled out.
Jeffery will miss his fifth consecutive game to start the 2020 season. Jeffery still hasn’t played since having Lisfranc surgery during last season. He was a limited participant in Wednesday’s practice but then missed Thursday and Friday with an illness.
“We were hoping that he would get some practice reps this week but he has an illness,” Pederson said on Friday morning. “It’s not related to COVID, it’s just an illness so he’s been out of the building the last couple of days so obviously he’ll be out.”
The Eagles elected to keep Jeffery on their active roster to begin the 2020 season, which means they obviously thought he would be back within the first six weeks. Had they put him on the Reserve/PUP, he would have been out at least six week.
But now Jeffery will have missed at least five games and there’s no guarantee he’ll be back next weekend.
Jackson, meanwhile, will miss his second consecutive game with a hamstring injury.
“You want him to be 100 percent,” Doug Pederson said. “So trusting that plan that those guys have put together for DeSean is really what I lean on. And then just talking to DeSean, seeing how he feels these last couple of days.”
Some other injury notes:
- In addition to Jeffery, Avonte Maddox (ankle) and Fletcher Cox were not present at the start of Friday’s session. Maddox is going to miss this week. Cox was limited on Wednesday to get some extra rest. Cox missed Friday for a personal reason. He’s expected to play on Sunday.
- The three limited participants from Thursday’s practice: Jackson, Lane Johnson (ankle) and Rodney McLeod (hamstring) were back on the field Friday. All three are expected to play Sunday.
- Vinny Curry (hamstring), Craig James (thigh) and Quez Watkins (back) practiced all week. Those three are on IR but are eligible to return. Pederson said earlier on Friday that no determination on Watkins had been made yet.
- The Eagles have until 4 p.m. on Saturday to activate those players to their 53-man roster in time to play on Sunday in Pittsburgh. The Eagles have two roster spots open.
- J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (calf), Marcus Epps (rib), Nate Herbig (groin) and Jason Kelce (hip) were all practicing on Friday. Arcega-Whiteside has been a full participant all week. The other three were limited on Wednesday and full participants on Thursday. They should all be good to go on Sunday.