Dortmund's Haller has second operation for testicular cancer

FILE - Ajax's Sebastien Haller celebrates scoring his side's second goal during the Champions League group C soccer match between Besiktas and Ajax at the Vodafone Park Stadium in Istanbul, Turkey, Wednesday, Nov. 24, 2021. Borussia Dortmund striker Haller has undergone a second operation for the testicular cancer that has kept him sidelined this season. On Friday, Nov. 25, 2022 Haller said on Twitter that Operation number 2 went well. The 28-year-old joined Dortmund from Ajax in July but had to leave a preseason training camp 12 days later for treatment and an operation after the malignant tumor was found. (AP Photo, File)

DORTMUND, Germany (AP) Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller has undergone a second operation for testicular cancer, which has kept him sidelined this season.

''Operation number 2 went well!'' Haller wrote on Twitter, adding his thanks to his medical team and that he ''can't wait'' to take the next step.

The 28-year-old Haller joined Dortmund from Ajax for 31 million euros ($32 million) in July but had to leave a preseason training camp 12 days later for treatment and an operation after the malignant tumor was found.

He was signed as a replacement for Erling Haaland after the Norwegian joined Manchester City.

Haller had been receiving chemotherapy treatment and told UEFA.com in October that he was hoping to avoid a second operation: ''If I'm lucky enough not to need surgery, things can go very quickly.''

Haller thought he had only a hernia when he asked Dortmund for a scan after first feeling stomach pain while on international duty with Ivory Coast.

The French-born Haller led the Dutch league last season with 21 goals and scored 11 more during Ajax's run to the round of 16 in the Champions League.

---

AP World Cup coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/world-cup and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports