Dolphins' Norton to undergo sixth surgery

Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Kendrick Norton will have his sixth surgery Monday since losing his left arm in a car crash earlier this month, according to NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport.

Norton's agent, Malki Kawa, told Rapoport that doctors believe this will be the 22-year-old's final operation and he could be released from the hospital next week.

Norton, who played collegiately at Miami, has been hospitalized since suffering career-ending injuries in the July 4 accident.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Dolphins general manager Chris Grier visited Norton the next day and head coach Brian Flores cut his vacation short and has stopped by every day. Hurricanes coach Manny Diaz has also been a regular visitor, according to Rapoport.

Norton spent the 2018 season on the Panthers' practice squad after Carolina selected him in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft. The Dolphins signed him in December.

NFL officials have said league and team insurance will cover his medical bills.

Norton was cited with making an improper lane change, per a Florida Highway Patrol report. He suddenly pulled his F-250 truck in front of a Maserati and clipped it, sending his car into a concrete barrier. The other driver was not injured and the report said drugs or alcohol were not believed to be a factor.

--Field Level Media

What to Read Next