Andy Ruiz Jr. set the world on fire when he defeated Anthony Joshua in the seventh-round of their heavyweight title bout. As expected, the internet joined in on the fun of a 25-1 underdog upsetting the previously unbeaten Joshua.
Joining in on the fun were Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury, two of Joshua’s biggest rivals in the heavyweight class. Both boxers offered their own take on the loss, which sidelines a potential megafight between any of the two competitors.
‘He wasn’t a true champion’
Taking to Twitter to air out his thoughts, the reigning WBC heavyweight champion, wasted no time in laying into Joshua, writing, “He wasn’t a true champion.”
Wilder also pointed toward the inability for the a match between the two to take place, adding, “Facts and now we know who was running from who!!!!.”
He wasn’t a true champion. His whole career was consisted of lies, contradictions and gifts.— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) June 2, 2019
Facts and now we know who was running from who!!!!#TilThisDay
Earlier in the week, Wilder announced that he would be taking on Luis Ortiz in a rematch of a fight held in 2018 in which Wilder won via TKO.
Once again taking to Twitter, Wilder noted that “All my controversial fights Must get dealt with ASAP!!”
Wilder v Ortiz II 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) May 28, 2019
To all my fans,
I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly.
All my controversial fights
Must get dealt with ASAP‼️#BombZquad pic.twitter.com/RZs7vLEhaj
Shortly after, he announced that Tyson Fury would be his next match after Ortiz, in another rematch following their highly touted draw.
Well, As I always say I’m the realest Champion in the business and as I’ve mentioned before I must handle all my Controversial— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) May 31, 2019
Luis Ortiz @kingkongboxing is first then Tyson Fury @Tyson_Fury Next. pic.twitter.com/dcu2byb6y2
During this same period, Joshua called out both Fury and Wilder for ducking him. “People have realized, Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have been professional eleven years and in their whole careers they were fighting cab drivers and binmen,” Joshua said.
He added, “It comes to a situation where it’s like they wanted to blacklist me, they don’t wanna fight me.”
‘These things happen’
Fury was more gracious in his take on Twitter, taking the respectful route while still noting their past disagreements.
Fury wrote in part, “These things happen, rest up, recover, regroup and come again.”
We have our back and Forth’s but @anthonyfjoshua changed his stars through life. heavyweight boxing, these things happen, rest up, recover, regroup and come again 👊🏼— TYSON FURY (@Tyson_Fury) June 2, 2019
While not an active titleholder, Fury is considered by many to be the lineal heavyweight champion and a fight with Joshua would be a big match.
Still, while Fury was gracious on Twitter, he has not shied from criticizing Joshua. In the lead up to his upcoming match with Tom Schwarz on June 15, Fury appeared on “Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show” to talk about his upcoming slate. There he dug into Joshua for ducking a match.
On the subject of networks, Fury said, “If the fighters are willing to fight, then why should a network get in the way? Fighters use that as an excuse, AKA Anthony Joshua. He uses that a lot as an excuse.”
Fury pointed toward his alignment with BT Sport, but fought on Showtime against Wilder as reason why that excuse isn’t valid.
“These fights can happen,” he added. “Why can’t they do a dual broadcast? It’s been done before, it’ll happen again.”
While we do not know if a potential fight between Joshua and one of Wilder or Fury will happen, we do know that boxing thrives off of trash talk. Whenever a fight does materialize, expect these tweets and comments to be dug up and used as firepower.
More from Yahoo Sports: