- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
There was never any doubt that Deandre Ayton would jump to the NBA after one year at Arizona. And there is very little doubt that Ayton will hear his name called early, if not first, at the NBA draft in June. The only surprise is that Ayton’s announcement – that he is indeed going pro – came on March 15.
Arizona, which entered the NCAA tournament with designs on a deep run, was bullied by No. 13 seed Buffalo on Thursday night, beaten 89-68.
Less than an hour after the final horn, Ayton, along with junior wing Allonzo Trier, both declared for the 2018 NBA draft.
Ayton spoke in the locker room afterward about the season that was now past, and about his future.
Ayton is projected to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. Trier, who had his best season yet in 2017-18, is projected as a second-rounder.
More March Madness coverage from Yahoo Sports:
• Cinderella’s upset bid ends on physics-defying miss
• Loyola Chicago stuns Miami on last-second shot for upset win
• Oklahoma wastes Young’s heroics in NCAA tournament
• NCAA player winks at NBA legend after insane shot
• Loyola’s 98-year-old nun loved buzzer-beater