Newly released surveillance footage shows the moment Conor McGregor took a fan’s phone and smashed it outside the Fontainebleau hotel, home of prominent nightclub LV, in Miami last month.
The footage was obtained by TMZ Sports on Wednesday. Previous footage was from a nearby observer’s phone. McGregor was charged with robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief in the incident.
Footage shows McGregor stomping phone
The video shows McGregor, 30, walking into an open entryway in front of the hotel as fans on each side of him shoot video of the UFC star.
Security detail push someone on McGregor’s right side away from the fighter just as McGregor turns to his left, past a second security guard, and reaches out to a man in a long sleeve white shirt.
Ahmed Abdirzk told TMZ Sports in a video posted days after the incident that he thought McGregor was coming in for a handshake. The footage shows him reaching out his left hand as he continues to film McGregor.
McGregor then reaches out with his left, swats the phone away and stomps down on it as his security guard keeps Abdirzk from reaching down for it. He then picks it up and saunters away as Abdirzk trails behind, seemingly asking for the phone back.
Prosecutors have released video of Conor McGregor smashing a fan’s phone in Miami.pic.twitter.com/hqb5QO8ggm— Sporting News (@sportingnews) April 11, 2019
McGregor settles lawsuit
Abdirzk sued for battery, assault and intentional infliction of emotional distress and the two sides reportedly settled out of court, per a report earlier this week.
Abdirzk asked for $15,000 in damages and said in a TMZ Sports video last month he was most upset he lost photos of his child that he hadn’t backed up yet.
Charges still remain
McGregor still faces charges of felony strong-armed robbery and misdemeanor criminal mischief. Those have reportedly been modified from the initial charges. He can face up to six years in jail, though it may have the largest impact on his immigration status since he is an Irish citizen.
A trial is scheduled for May, per TMZ.
The UFC fighter announced his retirement earlier this month, then changed his mind days later. He is reportedly being investigated in Ireland for sexual assault and a week before the phone incident completed community service for an April 2018 attack during UFC media day.
More from Yahoo Sports: