With Colts in quarterback bind after Carson Wentz goes in COVID-19 protocol, will they call Philip Rivers?

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Indianapolis Colts
    Indianapolis Colts
    LiveTodayTomorrowvs--|
  • Philip Rivers
    Philip Rivers
    LiveTodayTomorrowvs--|
  • Carson Wentz
    Carson Wentz
    American football quarterback
  • Sam Ehlinger
    Sam Ehlinger
    LiveTodayTomorrowvs--|

With Carson Wentz going on the reserve/COVID list Tuesday, the Indianapolis Colts are left to find a quarterback for Sunday's game against the Las Vegas Raiders.

The team's current backup is Sam Ehlinger, a rookie who has never taken an NFL snap.

Social media are suggesting that the Colts call Philip Rivers, who retired at the end of last season after throwing for more than 4,000 yards with the Colts. There have been no reports Indianapolis has reached out to Rivers.

Rivers took a call last week from the New Orleans Saints, who were in a similar bind with their top two quarterbacks on the reserve/COVID list. Rivers turned down the offer.

Philip Rivers, who opened his career with the Chargers, came to the Colts last season and went 11-5 before retiring.
Philip Rivers, who opened his career with the Chargers, came to the Colts last season and went 11-5 before retiring.

OPINION: Unvaccinated Carson Wentz would ruin Colts' incredible season if he contracts COVID

NEVER MISS A MOMENT: Subscribe to our Sports newsletter to stay informed!

Rivers spent the early part of his offseason as the coach of his son's high school football team, but told the Los Angeles Times that he wouldn't rule out making a comeback.

“I’m just going to stay ready. I want to make sure I’m very clear: I’m not predicting I will play in December or January, for that matter," he said. "One, you’ve got to have somebody who wants you, and two, it’s got to be right. But I have not completely ruled that out.”

Follow IndyStar trending sports reporter Matthew VanTryon on Twitter @MVanTryon and email him at matthew.vantryon@indystar.com.

This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: Colts' Carson Wentz on COVID list; will Philip Rivers get a call?