Colts evaluating potential kicker additions

·2 min read

The Indianapolis Colts have not made a decision on the kicker position following Rodrigo Blankenship’s poor outing during the Week 1 tie against the Houston Texans.

In speaking with reporters Monday, head coach Frank Reich said the team hasn’t yet made a decision but will discuss potential additions with the front office.

The lack of commitment to Blankenship as the starter probably means the team is considering a change. Whether they make a move is unknown at this point.

Though Blankenship won the kicker competition for the third year in a row, the Colts have been needing a more consistent option. The Week 1 tie against the Texans proved again why they should be considering another option.

After converting two field-goal attempts earlier in the game, Blankenship’s day spiraled out of control quickly. On consecutive kickoffs late in the fourth quarter and to begin overtime, Blankenship put the ball out of bounds, giving the Texans starting field position at the 40-yard line.

Then, he missed the game-winning field-goal attempt from 42 yards as the kick sailed wide right.

With all this said, it’s unfair to put all of the blame on Blankenship. The Colts had several opportunities to score touchdowns and failed to do so. They had several costly mistakes that killed offensive drives. So it’s not all on Blankenship’s shoulders.

But going into Year 3, he still hasn’t shown the type of improvement that would make us believe he can be a difference-maker. When games like Sunday happen, the team is forced to consider alternative options.

Like Colts Wire on Facebook
Follow Colts Wire on Twitter
Follow Kevin on Twitter (@KevinHickey11)

Related

Colts' Jonathan Taylor nominated for FedEx Ground Player of the Week

Colts' player of the game vs. Texans: RB Jonathan Taylor

List

Twitter calling for Colts to cut Rodrigo Blankenship

Story originally appeared on Colts Wire