Darrell Russell, CardinalSports.com
It’s difficult to get a good read on your football team when they play a vastly inferior team at home. That’s the case with the Cards win over Kent State on Saturday. Kent is a member of the respected Mid-American Conference that is Division I and is a football Bowl Subdivision conference.
After playing Louisville the Golden Flashes are 1-3 on the season including loses to Marshall, Clemson and a win over Howard. In their three loses they scored a total of six points on two field goals. The win by UofL evened the series at 9-9.
Despite the inferior competition there were several areas that indicated improvement by the Cards:
• Lamar Jackson was 18-22 passing for .818 percent rebounding from a .50 percent effort against Clemson. He is completing .631 percent on the season.
• Freshman running back Colin Wilson ran the ball for the first time this season and in spite of an upset stomach had 33 yards in three carries. He had the highlight of the game when he was tackled and rolled across the defender, regained his balance without his knee touching the ground and advanced for seven more yards.
• Seven running backs had a rush for five yards or more.
• Six running backs had a rush for 13 yards or more.
• Eight receivers had two receptions or more with leading receiver Jaylen Smith out with an injury.
• Jawon Pass saw his first action of the season and was 5-8 passing. He was calm in the pocket and made no mistakes.
• 22 freshmen and sophomores saw significant minutes in the game and performed well.
• Blanton Creque continued to improve on kickoffs with four not returned and the longest return to the UofL 21-yard line.
• Mason King continues to punt effectively. He is averaging 42.1 yards and has only two returns on the season of 3 and 9 yards.
• With Stacy Thomas sidelined with suspension, freshman Dorian Etheridge led the team with nine tackles including two for loss. Freshman C.J. Avery was second with six tackles.
• In total freshmen and sophomores accounted for 44 tackles in the game.