Chiefs to pay medical expenses for 5-year-old girl injured in Britt Reid crash

The Kansas City Chiefs will pay the medical expenses for the 5-year-old girl injured when Britt Reid's truck hit two cars on the side of a highway ramp on Feb. 4.

Ariel Young suffered a traumatic brain injury and was unable to walk or talk after the crash. She was discharged from the hospital in the spring but had to be fed via tube.

Reid, the son of Chiefs coach Andy Reid and a Chiefs assistant coach at the time of the crash, is currently awaiting trial on a felony DWI charge. He pleaded not guilty in June. The judge assigned to his case has allowed him to drive on the condition that his car has an ignition interlock device to check his blood alcohol content.

Friday, Young family attorney Tom Porto told the Kansas City Star in a statement that “the parties have finalized a comprehensive care plan that provides Ariel with world-class medical care and long-term financial stability.”

Porto said in the statement that “Ariel’s recovery is a long road, but she has made great strides and continues to improve every day" and was able to attend school this fall. Porto said in a media appearance in March that Young would likely have permanent brain damage from the crash.

The agreement between the family and the Chiefs likely avoids a civil lawsuit.

PITTSBURGH, PA - DECEMBER 21:  Quality control coach Britt Reid of the Kansas City Chiefs looks on from the sideline before a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on December 21, 2014 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  The Steelers defeated the Chiefs 20-12. (Photo by George Gojkovich/Getty Images)

Police: Reid admitted to drinking

Reid's blood-alcohol level was tested at 0.113 after the crash. The legal limit is 0.08 and police said that Reid smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes.

An officer who responded to the crash also said that Reid had admitted to having multiple drinks before driving. The crash happened on a highway ramp not far from the Chiefs' practice facility and Reid's car was traveling over 65 MPH at the time of impact.

He hit two cars that were on the side of a highway ramp. Young's mother, Felicia Miller, had stopped on the ramp to help her cousin whose car had stalled because it ran out of gas. Miller said that she found Young under the third seat of her SUV after the crash.

The Chiefs placed Reid on administrative leave after the crash and didn't renew his contract after the season.