Davies backs Rodgers to break transfer record
Celtic assistant manager Chris Davies believes Brendan Rodgers will break the club's £6 million transfer record.
Chris Sutton is the current record signing at Celtic Park, while the £4.5m spent on Oliver Ntcham is the biggest outlay in recent years. However, Davies says that Rodgers could spend over £6m for the right player.
“I think the club will support if it is the right player. Brendan works closely with Peter [Lawwell] and Dermot [Desmond]," Davies told the Evening Times.
“If it is the right player that we all feel is worth that money, and can really take us forward, then I’m sure Brendan would be supported in that. We could just bring players in almost for the sake of it.
“You pay fees, they are not quite right but you are getting your numbers in. But to protect the club and make sure we are doing the right thing for them and the team, we want to make sure it is the right player.
“It has to be quality but it has to be the right player. That’s what Brendan is focusing on, working with the club.”
Celtic interested in Subotic
Celtic are battling Saint-Etienne to sign Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic, according to French outlet butfootballclub.
The Serbia international had been linked with Huddersfield, but manager David Wagner dismissed the claims earlier this week. Subotic is currently seen as surplus to requirements at Dortmund after they signed Swiss defender Manuel Akanji for a reported €22 million.
Saint-Etienne currently lead the race to sign the 29-year-old, but Celtic would only have to pay €3m to sign the experienced centre-back.
Red Star Belgrade youngster on Celtic radar
Celtic are one of a number of clubs interested in Red Star Belgrade forward Luka Adzic, according to the player's agent, reports the Daily Record.
Adzic, 19, has been touted as a target for Premier League club Leicester City and Championship side Sunderland, but Celtic have also seemingly entered the frame.
"I know that there is an interest from Celtic, but also some other clubs for Luka, but there was no concrete offer," Radojica Bozovic, Adzic's agent, is quoted as saying.
Celtic assessing Allassani
Former Crystal Palace forward Reise Allassani is on Celtic's radar, according to the Independent.
Allassani is currently with Dulwich Hamlet after a move to Sheffield Wednesday collapsed due to injury, but after recovering from knee problems, has been phenomenal in the Isthmian League Premier Division with 17 goals in 16 appearances.
That form has seen the former England Under-17 international targeted by higher-tier clubs, with the Independent reporting that the Bhoys are one of the teams interested in the 22-year-old.
Henderson signs for Bari
Liam Henderson has left Celtic to join Italian outfit Bari on a permanent deal, the Scottish champions have confirmed.
A product of the club's youth system, Henderson made a total of 36 appearances for the Bhoys, scoring three goals, but struggled to nail down a regular place in the team.
The 21-year-old midfielder had been on trial with the Serie B club, who are managed by World Cup winner Fabio Grosso, and makes the move to the continent where he will hope to kick-start his career.
Bhoys make £2.5m bid for Besiktas defender
Celtic have made a €3 million (£2.5m) bid for Besiktas defender Dusko Tosic, reports Turkish outlet Aksam.
According to the report, the Scottish champions have made an offer for the 32-year-old centre-back, but Besiktas are holding out for €4m.
Tosic, who is a Serbia international, counts Werder Bremen among his former clubs and played in England for Queens Park Rangers in 2010.
Celtic are said to be on the look-out for defensive reinforcements this January and are already short in the department, having let Erik Sviatchenko join Midtjylland on loan.
Celtic linked with want-away Rodwell
Celtic have been linked with Jack Rodwell as the England international nears an exit from Sunderland, reports the Sunderland Echo.
Former Everton and Manchester City midfielder Rodwell reportedly wishes to depart the Black Cats and the club are said to have informed him that he can leave as a free agent.
Celtic were previously thought to be considering a loan move for the 26-year-old, but wages were a sticking point.
Sviatchenko joins Midtjylland on loan
Celtic defender Erik Sviatchenko has re-joined Midtjylland on loan for the rest of the season.
The Denmark international joined the Hoops in 2016 after winning one league title in eight seasons at the club, and has returned to his former team after failing to appear in any league games for Celtic in 2017-18.
Sviatchenko is hoping the move can help boost his chances of making Denmark's squad for the World Cup following the Danes' 5-1 aggregate defeat of the Republic of Ireland in the playoffs. The 26-year-old has played 42 Scottish Premiership games for Celtic, lifting the title in each of his first two seasons.
"I knew I should find a new club and I have had more options," Sviatchenko told the Danish club's official website. "When I had to choose, I did not doubt that I wanted to go back to Midtjylland - my heart's club, my youth club. It's a really exciting project, and I'm really looking forward to playing the Danish championship."
Celtic keen on Baker loan
Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers is interested in signing Chelsea midfielder Lewis Baker on loan for the rest of the season, reports the Daily Mail .
Baker is currently on loan at Middlesbrough, but hasn’t featured in the Championship since the end of September and new boss Tony Pulis is considering sending the 22-year-old back to Stamford Bridge.
Rodgers is also keen on Baker’s Chelsea team-mate Charly Musonda, but Antonio Conte’s side would prefer to send the winger to another Premier League club on loan.
Crystal Palace join Dembele hunt
Crystal Palace are keen to add Celtic striker Moussa Dembele to their ranks, according to the Scottish Sun .
France Under-21 international Dembele has been linked with a number of clubs during the January transfer window, with Brighton also believed to be interested in signing the striker, who is valued at £20 million.
And Palace have reportedly joined the race, with Roy Hodgson said to be eager to improve his side's attacking prowess.
Bhoys linked with Schalke striker
Celtic are interested in signing Schalke striker Franco di Santo, according to a report in the Daily Record .
According to the newspaper, reports in Germany indicate that the Scottish champions are lining up a bid for the 28-year-old as 'insurance' should Moussa Dembele leave Celtic Park.
Di Santo, who is an Argentina international, counts Chelsea, Werder Bremen and Wigan Athletic among his former clubs.