LSU’s men’s basketball team took a hit for the 2023-24 season on Wednesday as the team announced in a statement that guard Jalen Cook, a transfer addition from Tulane who began his career with the Tigers, had an instant eligibility waiver from the NCAA denied due to his status as a two-time transfer.
The program said it is continuing to fight the NCAA’s decision and has submitted further information to the organization.
“LSU recently learned that the NCAA denied an immediate eligibility waiver for men’s basketball student-athlete Jalen Cook,” LSU said in its statement. “Since then, we have submitted additional information to the NCAA for reconsideration and are awaiting their next ruling. We believe strongly in the merit of Jalen’s case for immediate eligibility upon his return to LSU, and we will continue to fight for him. We appreciate the NCAA’s emphasis on student-athlete wellness and mental health, and we thank them for their diligence and continued consideration of Jalen’s case.”
Cook was one of the highlights of a loaded transfer class for the Tigers. An All-AAC First Team selection last season, he averaged 19.9 points, 4.9 assists and 1.8 steals.
He returned to LSU, where his career began, in hopes of becoming a standout SEC player. The Tigers were relying on him to contribute this season, but barring an unforeseen change, they’ll have to wait for next season to see that impact.
Follow Tyler to continue the conversation on Twitter: @TylerNettuno