A second suspect has been arrested in the investigation into the shooting of former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor’s office told the Associated Press via WhatsApp on Tuesday night.
The spokeswoman did not provide further details other than the fact that an arrest had been made. Per the report, there is no indication that the suspect is the shooter, and police have yet to release a motive.
Ortiz was shot in the back at a bar in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on Sunday night. He is currently recovering and “resting comfortably” in a Boston hospital, and took his first steps since his surgeries on Tuesday afternoon. The 43-year-old initially underwent emergency surgery in the Dominican Republic on Sunday night, and had his gallbladder, part of his intestines and colon removed in a second surgery in Boston on Monday.
The first suspect, 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia, has been charged with attempted homicide, criminal association and intentionally causing injury through use of an illegal firearm, his attorney told ABC News on Tuesday night. Garcia allegedly confessed to “playing a role in the shooting,” per the report, and attempted to flee the bar after the shooting but was stopped and attacked by bystanders before he was arrested. Garcia insisted he did not actually shoot Ortiz, and his attorney maintained his innocence.
Ortiz played in the MLB for 20 seasons, and helped lead the Red Sox to three World Series titles in 2004, 2007 and 2013. The 10-time All-Star retired after the 2016 season.
More from Yahoo Sports: