Vindication will arrive at last for Serena Williams next Monday, when the WTA rankings computer finally acknowledges what we've all known for quite some time: that Williams, and no one else - certainly not Dinara Safina - is the best women's player in the world.
Thankfully, once official confirmation of the new top spot arrives, then the jokes, jibes and barbed comments from Williams can finally come to an end.
The demise of Safina has been excruciating to watch and was played out in the full glare of the public spotlight. The Russian deserved her ranking on principle - it is not her fault the way the system is constructed. But in recent weeks and months she has performed more like a player ranked outside the top 50, and every loss made the ranking formula seem more and more flawed.
On current form, there is no way we could include her in the latest edition of the Yahoo! Sports Power Rankings, which has a returning entrant this week in Maria Sharapova. Sharapova has struggled with her serve since coming back from a long injury layoff but was outstanding in Tokyo last week, comfortably taking the title.
Yahoo! Sports Power Rankings
1. Serena Williams (1) - regains top spot on WTA rankings next week.
2. Kim Clijsters (2) - taking a rest after Flushing Meadows triumph.
3. Venus Williams (3) - won't look back on 2009 with fondness.
4. Caroline Wozniacki (4) - dipped in form since U.S. Open.
5. Maria Sharapova (NR) - secured first title since return from injury.
6. Svetlana Kuznetsova (5) - French Open champ needs more consistency.
7. Elena Dementieva (6) - her mixed and unpredictable season rumbles on.
8. Jelena Jankovic (NR) - back to form in Tokyo.