The 300 spectators in attendance at County Week, an annual amateur tennis event in the United Kingdom, were stunned to see world No. 3 Andy Murray rock up for action last weekend.
Murray agreed to help out when the North of Scotland team was short of players, and he took part in three doubles matches with childhood friend Owen Hadden.
There were none of the creature comforts reserved for stars of the ATP Tour; Murray had to call his own lines and wait in line at the players cafeteria at the tournament held in the coastal town of Eastbourne.
He will head to Miami for a period of training next week in preparation for the U.S. hard court campaign.
Murray is at No. 2 in the latest edition of the Yahoo! Sports power rankings, with Rafael Nadal slipping to No. 3 due to his ongoing injury layoff.
Yahoo! Sports Power Rankings
1. (1) Roger Federer: Full of confidence and hungrily eying a third straight Slam.
2. (2) Andy Murray: Desperate to end his major jinx but still one of the dominant forces in the game.
3. (3) Rafael Nadal: Can be expected to climb when he finally returns from injury.
4. (NR) Andy Roddick: How will he react to a devastating Wimbledon defeat?
5. (4) Novak Djokovic: Quickly becoming the "forgotten man" of the top five.
6. (5) Juan Martin del Potro: Wimbledon blip but favorite U.S. hard court swing approaches.
7. (NR) Tommy Haas: Turning back the clock after finally getting free of injuries.
8. (7) Robin Soderling: Putting together the best year of his life.
Pre-Wimbledon ranking in parentheses. AFP photo.