Vancouver Whitecaps striker and second overall pick in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft Darren Mattocks was hospitalized with burns to his upper right arm and shoulder in an unexplained dinner preparation accident over the weekend.
From the CBC:
The MLS team said the accident occurred Sunday but did not say in a release exactly how the 21-year-old Jamaican forward burned himself.
The team said he had been admitted to a local hospital and was "being assessed and treated."
"It was an unfortunate accident, but Darren is handling everything well and remains in good spirits," Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie said in a release.
"We will have a better understanding on the recovery time and course of action later in the week, but we fully anticipate Darren to make a complete recovery in due time."
Of course, people burn fingers and hands while cooking all the time, but how one burns their shoulder while fixing a meal remains a mystery. Luckily, Mattocks will be OK and will probably just stick to using the microwave in the future.
Meanwhile, Valencia's Ever Banega, who ran himself over with his own car in February, is just happy that Mattocks has people talking about a new strange footballer injury.
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• Chelsea dismisses midfielder Jacob Mellis for smoke-grenade prank
• U.S. Soccer's Juan Agudelo may be Twitter's most interesting athlete
• Y! Health: Dark chocolate may be 25 times more effective than statins