The world loves its figure skating. According to new data released by Facebook, figure skating is the Winter Olympics sport most searched in many major countries.
According to Facebook internal data, more than 24 million people posted on the Olympics during the first week of the Games. They generated 48 million combined posts, comments and likes. Per the map above, you can see that the United States, Russia, Canada, Brazil and Australia all have an affinity for figure skating. Europe favors the biathlon, India appreciates ice hockey, and much of Africa pulls for luge.
[Photos: Five Russian Olympians who are models]
The top athletes mentioned the most on Facebook in the first week are as follows:
1. Shaun White, U.S. snowboarder
2. Jenny Jones, Great Britain snowboarder
3. Michael Christian Martinez, first skater from the Philippines in the Olympics
4. Alex Bilodeau, Canadian freestyle skier
5. Jamie Anderson, U.S. snowboarder
6. Gracie Gold, U.S. figure skater
Expect those rankings to change as new sports come into play, but for now, it's an interesting look at what's most compelling to the world's Facebook users. Beyond photos of their kids in the snow, of course.
More Winter Olympics coverage on Yahoo Sports: