Reese Hoffa: My wife arrives but so does Doping Control

Shot putter Reese Hoffa of Team USA is blogging for Fourth Place Medal from Beijing. Check back here often for updates.

Tuesday, 8/12. Well last night at about 11:30 I got a call from my wife on Skype and I was able to tell her that she got her day pass and she can see me tomorrow. That night I could hardly sleep - I was tossing and turning. I did finally go to sleep and when I woke up it was time to get my wife in the village. Renata was nice enough to take the subway all the way to the village to save me the trouble of taking a cab.

However, before she came to the village I got a knock on my door from Doping Control and I was selected to give a urine sample. Now I am a fan of Doping Control, but since I have been in China I have been selected three times, and two of those times I also had to give blood. Now the first time I thought it was really cool to finally go through the blood giving process, but three times... I think they are just picking on me.

So after an hour in Doping Control I leave and get ready for my wife to come in the village. She got here at around 11 and we went shopping for some stuff for friends, family and her student teacher who is covering her class while she is gone for the week. We took a few pictures at the flags from all around the world and then we got some lunch from McDonalds. We were able to talk for a pretty long time and catch up on how her flights went and news from home. All in all it was a wonderful day and before I knew it, it was time for her to leave and go to the zoo with her parents.

Once she left I went to Beijing Normal University for my massage and dinner. I talked with Don about practice and what lifts we are doing and we talked about how the swimmers seem to be getting a lot of press and looking forward to track and field. After dinner I went back on the bus to the village and I packed up another two laundry bags to have washed... and then off to bed.

Photos via Reese Hoffa.

What to Read Next