Stunning reversal keeps Oscar Pistorius’ Olympic run from ending on a sour note

Oscar Pistorius' Olympic run came close to ending on a sour note. The South African who is the first amputee to compete in track and field at the Olympics didn't get a second chance to run. Though he was entered in the 4x400 relay, his teammate was injured before the baton was ever passed. However, track's international ruling body said the South African team was obstructed, and allowed it to move on to the final.

[Photos: Oscar Pistorius]

In the opening heats of the relay, Ofense Mogatwane became entwined with Kenya's Vincent Kiilu. Mogatwane fell to the track, and grabbed his shoulder in pain. Pistorius, who was set to take the baton from Mogatwane, tried to get to his fallen teammate but was stopped by track officials. (See the race here.)

[Related: Inspirational Moments: Oscar Pistorius in the best picture you'll ever see]

After the race, Pistorius tweeted that his teammate was injured.

He was surprised at the reversal, which will allow the team to run in Friday's final.

Pistorius ran twice during the Olympics, competing in the 400m opening heat and semifinal. Though he failed to get any medals, he inspired competitors and fans. Kitani James, the Grenadian runner who won the 400, switched bibs with Pistorius in a show of respect.

[Video: Why U.S. track star Allyson Felix finally won individual gold]

On the way to the Olympics, Pistorius had to go through legal challenges until the Court of Arbitration of Sport ruled he could compete. He also had to run several times before getting a qualifying time.

His trek to the Olympics was difficult, but Pistorius' run will be something that will be remembered for generations no matter what happens Friday. His Olympics aren't defined by the end, but the entire journey.

Related Olympics coverage on Yahoo! Sports:

More Olympics coverage on Yahoo! Sports:
Fresh Take: May-Treanor and Walsh Jennings split after third gold
Video: Why the London tabloids love the Olympians
Yohan Blake wore a $500K watch during 100 final, and IOC is not happy