Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Preview: Montreal Canadiens at New Jersey Devils, 7 p.m. EST. Brian Gionta(notes) makes his return to Jersey as a member of the Habs. How will the fans react? Cheers, probably. And probably not cheers for Scott Gomez(notes) ... but at least Devils fans can recycle their Gomez protest jerseys from his Rangers days. Watch The Game Live Via Hockey Night on Y!
Preview: Nashville Predators at Colorado Avalanche, 9 p.m. EST. In a perfect world, fans would fire up the Center Ice and watch two of the biggest surprises in the West this season. After tearing up Western Canada, the Preds have dropped their last two. Dater is lobbying for T.J. Galiardi(notes), Matt Duchene(notes) and Brandon Yip(notes) as The 9 Line, although we have no idea what they have to do with Fellini. Watch The Game Live Via Hockey Night on Y!
Check out previews and updated scores for all of today's games (like the ones in progress) on the Y! Sports NHL scores and scheds page.
• Noted film critic Shane Doan(notes) gives "Tooth Fairy" a thumbs-up. Which is odd, because Rotten Tomatoes has it at 16-percent positive, which is pretty much bombs-ville. But Blue Jackets announcer Bob McElligott said the "Dewayne Johnson" film doesn't really make it as a hockey movie: "There wasn't a ton of on-ice action and a lot of what was there involved checks that would be called interference in a real game." And really, who doesn't demand realism from a movie with a professional wrestler as the tooth fairy? [NHL]
• Congrats to our buddy Mike Chen, who will be taking over for mighty Mirtle over on From The Rink at SB Nation. [Chen]
• Mikael Tam on the Patrice Cormier(notes) hit: "When I was in emergency and I was asking myself where I was, and I didn't know why I was in this condition, I was scared, very scared ... When I regained consciousness, I had no recollection of what had happened." [CBC Sports]
• From the NHLPA, some news about a massive fundraising effort for Haiti: "The NFL Players Association, National Basketball Players Association (NBPA), National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) and Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA) today announced the creation of the 'One Team 4 Haiti' campaign to support the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund's focus on the country's earthquake relief and recovery efforts.The campaign will launch with a text message fundraising effort supporting the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. In the U.S., supporters can text the word 'TEAM' to 20222 to donate $10. Canadian supporters can text the word 'TEAM' to 20222 (starting on 1/23/10) to donate $5. The amount will be charged to donor's cell phone bill. One hundred percent of the proceeds raised by the texting campaign will go directly to relief efforts." [NHLPA]
• Perhaps the Calgary Flames were expecting too much from Jay Bouwmeester(notes)? "However, while he's an elite shutdown guy, offensively he probably isn't a high-end guy, maybe a little above league average." [Hockey or Die]
• Your additional KHL All-Stars: Joining Team Yashin, comprised of Russian and Belrussian players, will be goalkeeper Andrei Mezin (Dinamo Minsk); defensemen Dmitri Kalinin(notes) (Salavat Yulayev Ufa) and Anton Babchuk(notes) (Avangard Omsk); and forwards Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars Kazan), Sergei Fedorov(notes) (Metallurg Magnitogorsk) and Sergei Mozyakin (Atlant Mytishchi).Added to the roster of Team Jagr, comprised of international players, is goalkeeper Michael Garnett (HC MVD - Canada); defensemen Martin Strbak (HC MVD - Slovakia) and Lasse Kukkonen(notes) (Avangard Omsk - Finland); and forwards Patrick Thoresen(notes) (Salavat Yulayev Ufa - Norway), Josef Vasicek(notes) (Lokomotiv Yaroslavl - Czech Republic) and Chris Simon(notes) (Vityaz - Canada). Yes, Chris Simon ... [KHL]
• Finally, yours truly and Steve Kouleas face off on The Score over Cormier, Laraque and the Calgary Flames:
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: From Bob on the 9-year-old Russian hockey players brawl:
daniel carcillo is licking his chops thinking about getting in on this action
Bold Prediction: Kanye West will be nowhere near this Haiti Relief telethon tonight. OK, perhaps this wasn't so bold.