Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• This is Alex Ovechkin tending goal for the Washington Capitals in practice, wearing the gear of Michal Neuvirth. It was an eye-opening moment for the Russian star, as he was previously unaware that the defensive zone went that deep. [Alex Ovetjkin]
• Is comparing The Nuge to The Great One really that fair to Gretzky? [Oil Patch]
• Kyle Turris is about to see his time with the Phoenix Coyotes come to an end. "Several reports have linked Turris to a possible trade, with the Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames, Toronto Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes and Dallas Stars among the interested parties." [TFP]
• Could the Florida Panthers end up being the destination? [Sun Sentinel]
• What about the Edmonton Oilers? [Cult of Hockey]
• Turris talks with Matt Reitz, including whether he has any regrets (outside of forgetting the name and the address of everyone he's ever known … and if you get that reference, we can hang): "That is a tough question because I don't regret a thing that I did. There's obviously things that probably would have been done different. But the point of it wouldn't have changed. So you can take what you want out of that, but like I said, I don't regret what I did. Some things might have changed, but what I was trying to get across wouldn't have changed." [PHT]
• If you've not read it, Ken Dryden's concussions piece on Grantland is beautiful written, witty and insightful. It also connects the loss of players to hits with great velocity to CTE and fighting, where it sort of falls apart for us. Great Bettman stuff, though. [Grantland]
• An in-depth look back at the New Jersey Devils career of Scott Niedermayer, whose No. 27 will be retired this evening, for some reason, before John MacLean's No. 15. [In Lou We Trust]
• Miss Milan Michalek and Claude Giroux? Thank the curse of Phil Kessel. [Rotoworld]
Our favorite story of the day: Bruins fan dad loses bet to an 11-year-old girl and is forced to get a Montreal Canadiens tattoo. [Winnipeg Free Press]
• How hockey fights can be game-changers. [Ottawa Citizen]
• Some additional details on the Carolina Hurricanes' new ownership group. [Triangle Business]
• Claude Noel of the Winnipeg Jets got a little nutty after last night's loss to the Washington Capitals, but says everything's kosher now. "I watched the video and I got what I needed to get out of it and we watched a little bit of it and we sorted it out and then we moved forward. And that's what is needed to get done. So it's good, good. The sun came up today and we're moving forward." [Globe & Mail]
• The Ottawa Senators have a news conference tonight to make a major announcement, featuring "senior executives from Bell Canada and Scotiabank; Senators president Cyril Leeder; other special guests." Graeme from The 6th Sens is calling "scoreboard."
• Meanwhile, some analysis of Marc Crawford's bold statement that the post-Pronger Philadelphia Flyers should immediately begin negotiations to acquire Sergei Gonchar. [6th Sens]
• Welcome to Okie, Magnus Paajarvi. [Oilers]
• Welcome to Manchester, Ethan Moreau. [Kings]
• Los Angeles Kings update: Willie Mitchell doubtful for Detroit; Mike Richards will be with the team, but who knows if he'll be on the ice; Jonathan Quick will start; John Stevens still the coach. [LA Kings Insider]
• The Boston Bruins could have Zdeno Chara back for their showdown against the Flyers this weekend. [Bruins Blog]
• Much more offended by Joffrey Lupul's grammar than his snark on Buffalo. [Slam]
• Very interesting read from BD Gallof on "The Personal Demons of Corey Trivino," the New York Islanders prospect who was recently kicked off the BU hockey team. [CBS NY]
• Meanwhile, Minnesota Wild blue-chipper Charlie Coyle appears to be headed off the BU team too. [Buzzing The Net]
• Elliotte Friedman vs. Vancouver Canucks fans: "On Twitter, my Emails, some of the angriest and rudest responses I get are for Canucks fans and it's from stuff that is really benign. Like I can say 99 great things about the Vancouver Canucks and have one thing I disagree with..." Hit me. [The Province]
• Oh good, a new documentary about the 1994 New York Rangers Stanley Cup team. Spoiler: Messier cries. [Rangers]
• Finally, an Ottawa Senators campaign video for Milan Michalek that takes a run at Nickelback. He has our vote.A video or other embedded content has been hidden. Click here to view it.
Not to be outdone:A video or other embedded content has been hidden. Click here to view it.