Here is the Puck Daddy Viewing Guide: Spotlighting five things to watch for during tonight's slate of games. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Create-a-Caption: "The New York Islanders mascot Sparky The Dragon entertains fans during the game against the Philadelphia Flyers."
• • • • •
Preview: Washington Capitals at New Jersey Devils, 7 p.m. ET
Preview: Montreal Canadiens at Detroit Red Wings, 7:30 p.m. ET
Preview: Colorado Avalanche at Florida Panthers, 7:30 p.m. ET
Preview: Nashville Predators at Calgary Flames, 9 p.m. ET
Preview: Phoenix Coyotes at Edmonton Oilers, 9:30 p.m. ET
• • • • •
Five things to know about tonight's NHL games ...
1. Gelinas' wake up call. Three weeks after getting sent down to the AHL, Devils rookie defenseman Eric Gelinas said he's received the message.
2. Howard still out. Jimmy Howard has skated this week, but he still will be sidelined with a lower-body injury. He does, however, expect to be back in the Detroit lineup for Tuesday's game against the Flyers.
3. Scott Gomez returns. The Panthers forward has been a healthy scratch for 21 of the last 23 games, but will slide in for the injured Aleksander Barkov tonight. "I wish I could tell [the media] I'm shaking in my boots, but no, I've done this before,'' he said.
4. Missing some Olympians. As Dirk Hoag points out, the Predators and Flames game will feature the only two NHL teams who will not have a forward represented on any of the 12 participating countries at the Olympics.
5. Yak is back. After missing the past two games with a concussion, Nail Yakupov will return to for the Oilers tonight as they try and snap a five-game losing streak.
Bold prediction: Yakupov scores a pair and the Oilers finally get a win.