After taking a year off thanks to the NHL taking half a season off, HBO's 24/7 series is back with the matchup between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs, who will do battle on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in front of 100,000 fans.
As we've done before, we've created a drinking game for the four-episode series that will serve as a complement to the one hour every Saturday (or Sunday in Canada) night you'll be dedicating to the show.
No drinking game is worthwhile without interaction, so it's your job to add to our list in the comments. For entertainment purposes only, here is Puck Daddy's Unofficial HBO 24/7 Red Wings/Maple Leafs Drinking Game, in the classic 1-2-3 drink format.
There are many options here. Rather than see you catatonic after 10 minutes, print this out and pick and choose the ones you want to follow.
Here ... we ... go.
• "Original Six" is mentioned.
• Randy Carlyle drops an F-bomb.
• "Hockeytown" or "Center of the Hockey Universe" is mentioned.
• Joffrey Lupul smiles on camera.
• Every wide shot of Michigan Stadium.
• The magic and blissful nostalgia of outdoor hockey is exploited.
• A Red Wing is referred to as "Swedish."
• There's trash-talk between players during the game.
• The Red Wings' Stanley Cups and/or the Maple Leafs Stanley Cup drought is mentioned.
• The Olympics are mentioned.
• Every time we see a player in bed.
• Every time we see a player in their automobile. (CHUG: It's a Vespa.)
• Every time we meet a player's family member. (Bonus drink: This member is not a wife or a child.)
• Every time we hear a player addressed by a nickname that ends in "-er" or "-sy".
• Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren or Mark Fraser fight someone.
• Someone is shown making ice outdoors.
• Someone drops an F-bomb in another language. (Bonus Drink: Mikael Samuelsson drops an F-bomb in Swedish.)
• When either coach is referred to as being "tough but fair."
• Someone's concussion is referenced.
• Pavel Datsyuk is referred to as a "wizard."
• Phil Kessel smiles on camera.
• A referee chirps a player.
• Anytime someone plays a prank. (Bonus Drink: The victim is a rookie.)
• Turtleneck sighting.
• Michigan Stadium is identified as "The Big House."
• Mike Babcock smiles on camera.
• Dave Nonis drops an F-bomb.
• A montage plays to Maxine Nightingale's "Right Back Where We Started From".
• Sidney Crosby appears on camera.
• A member of either the Red Wings or Maple Leafs is suspended during one of the four episodes.
• Someone bitches about "having all these cameras around here" as a distraction. (Bonus Drink: This person isn't a coach.)
• Any advanced stat is referenced. (CHUG if it's Fenwick.)
• There's nudity of any kind. (DOUBLE CHUG: It's not Joffrey Lupul.)
• The HBO crew IDs a player incorrectly; either through mislabeling, misspelling or getting a jersey number wrong.
• The program explains Daniel Alfredsson's exit from Ottawa (although we assume this will make Ottawa fans chug, regardless of whether we told you to or not).
• Anyone does an interview with food on their face.
• Pavel Datsyuk drops an F-bomb.
• Anyone talks about their dogs as though they're attractive women.
(Ed. Note: Puck Daddy, of course, in no way endorses abuse of alcohol, consumption of alcohol by anyone under the legal drinking age in their region and, without a doubt, the operation of an automobile or any machine while under the influence of alcohol. These games are listed for entertainment purposes and we don't take responsibility for any result of their application. To sum it up, don't be a knucklehead and have fun!)