P.K. Subban talks Sochi: Media criticism, security concerns are ‘overblown’

Puck Daddy
P.K. Subban talks Sochi: Media criticism, security concerns are ‘overblown’
P.K. Subban talks Sochi: Media criticism, security concerns are ‘overblown’

SOCHI, Russia – P.K. Subban of the Montreal Canadiens was pleasantly surprised that the Sochi Olympic Village wasn’t a crumbling hellhole, based on what he saw leading up to Team Canada’s arrival on Monday.

“It just goes to show you what media can do. It’s the complete opposite of what I’d thought it’d be. The rooms are awesome. The setup’s great. Guys were saying that the setup here is even better than Torino,” said Subban, 24.

“I have to give credit to the people of Sochi and of Russia. They really made it comfortable for us, and we haven’t even started playing yet. I’m sure it’s only going to get better.”

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Subban said he has his parents, two sisters and their three children in Sochi with him. He said the security concerns that had some wary about bringing their families to Russia aren’t shared by his family.

“We’re not [worried],” he said. “I think the whole big deal about the security is getting way overblown, and it shouldn’t overshadow what these people have done.

These are Subban’s first Olympics. There was some thought he wouldn’t make the Canadian roster despite winning the Norris Trophy last season, due to criticism of his defensive game. But Subban is here, and he’s having a blast so far.

“It’s been awesome. I’m looking forward to the opportunity,” he said.

“I just like the fact that after practice I can be in [a game of] keep away with Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby. I’m hoping by the end of this tournament, when I play keep away in Montreal, I better be the best player.”

What to Read Next