NHL All-Star game in Columbus eliminated in next games cancellation, says report

Puck Daddy

That the 2013 NHL All-Star game has managed to stay alive during the lockout this long is almost inexplicable. It's like watching an obese, near-sighted guy with a broken leg in the final two of a dodgeball tournament. (Hey, if you can dodge a wrench …)

Forget for a moment that the All-Star game would be sacrificed in a condensed schedule, as the break in the season would be used to squeeze in games; the real issue is that the All-Star game requires at least a modicum of cooperation between the players and NHL for this glorified sponsors mixer.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

You know, the players that are currently locked out and calling the commissioner's office a cancer on the game

So it should come as no surprise, via Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch, that the city's All-Star date is about to be postponed to another season:

A source has told The Dispatch that the All-Star Game — scheduled to be hosted by the Blue Jackets in Nationwide Arena on Jan. 27 — will be included when the league cancels its next wave of games. The axe could fall any day now. Already, the league has canceled all games through November, a total of 327 games, and the Winter Classic outdoor game on Jan. 1.

The All-Star Game was expected to bring $12 million into the local economy, and it would have given Nationwide Arena — now owned by Franklin County — a chance to show off its many upgrades, including a massive new scoreboard.

As we previously reported, the earliest Columbus could get the game again would be for the 2014-15 season, as the 2014 game will be sacrificed for Sochi. No word if there's already bidding for that season; hopefully Columbus doesn't get passed over.

What to Read Next